phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
Reducing phosphates,good or bad in a planted tank?also is 48watts from a high output 2 bulb t5 6500 too much for a 20g tall?also what would the best co2 app for this tank as well?plants in the tank aren't necessarily high light plants but I'm looking for lush growth..

Reducing phosphates,good or bad in a planted tank?

Answer: Yes.

Too much phosphates is bad, too little is also bad. You want to keep it at a level somewhere between those two extremes. "Too much phosphate causes algae" is a catchall from a less enlightened time in planted tanks, when people would more or less make something up and run with it. Too much of anything will cause issues, but eliminating phosphate, especially in a low CO2/high light tank, will cause an outbreak of Green Spot Algae.

also is 48watts from a high output 2 bulb t5 6500 too much for a 20g tall?also what would the best co2 app for this tank as well?plants in the tank aren't necessarily high light plants but I'm looking for lush growth..

If your going to put CO2 on the tank, 2xT5HO will be a robust amount of light. Without CO2, I don't know if it would be worth it because you would eventually have algae that would wouldn't get with lower light, but not get especially better results.

If you want to get pressurized CO2, it will cost ~$150, but you will find that it is the best investment you will ever make for a planted tank.

aqua_chem said:
Answer: Yes.

Too much phosphates is bad, too little is also bad. You want to keep it at a level somewhere between those two extremes. "Too much phosphate causes algae" is a catchall from a less enlightened time in planted tanks, when people would more or less make something up and run with it. Too much of anything will cause issues, but eliminating phosphate, especially in a low CO2/high light tank, will cause an outbreak of Green Spot Algae.

If your going to put CO2 on the tank, 2xT5HO will be a robust amount of light. Without CO2, I don't know if it would be worth it because you would eventually have algae that would wouldn't get with lower light, but not get especially better results.

If you want to get pressurized CO2, it will cost ~$150, but you will find that it is the best investment you will ever make for a planted tank.

Thx Aqua Chem,as for the lighting I shut one bulb off&am also running a diy co2..had an algea outbreak but with spot treating,change of photoperiod(4on4off4on)&a phoshate remover pad in a 2nd filter it seems to be under control...as for the diy co2 its temp until I can afford a proper system,any suggestions on such would be appreciated..Thx again..

Back
Top Bottom