phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyguppies

Aquarium Advice Freak
I ordered a phosphate test kit on Amazon and got it today. I tested my 55 planted tank and got 1-2 ppm (couldn't tell for sure) I'm just wondering what the recommended level is?

I'm new to planted tanks but I maintain 2.0ppm but my tank is heavily planted

img_2482610_0_73aae46815dcf07d25781287e989cfa0.jpg

img_2482610_1_c0b636cbd24d4ecff9c5b95145352e6e.jpg

img_2482610_2_6d5dd3fce19a6de5ef3c275b878827f0.jpg

Mine doesn't have quite as many plants, but i do have a lot, and I'm working on getting more. So would you say that my phosphate level is pretty good then?

Mine doesn't have quite as many plants, but i do have a lot, and I'm working on getting more. So would you say that my phosphate level is pretty good then?

Like I said I'm new but from what I've read and have been told yes you wanna hang around 2.0ppm. I also try and maintain nitrates at 10ppm

Phosphate Levels

I ordered a phosphate test kit on Amazon and got it today. I tested my 55 planted tank and got 1-2 ppm (couldn't tell for sure) I'm just wondering what the recommended level is?

Hello love...

From the reading I've done, phosphate readings in excess of 1 ppm isn't very good. At 1 ppm, you can get the beginnings of algae growth and higher levels will create a real algae problem.

There are many flaked fish foods with high levels of phosphate, it's some kind of additive that extends the shelf life of the product. Maybe you're using one. If you use these flaked foods you can just reduce the amount you feed and make sure when you do your water changes, that you remove a good percentage of the tank water.

There is filter media available that removes phosphate. I've never used them, but I understand that type of thing is out there.

B

Hello love...

From the reading I've done, phosphate readings in excess of 1 ppm isn't very good. At 1 ppm, you can get the beginnings of algae growth and higher levels will create a real algae problem.

There are many flaked fish foods with high levels of phosphate, it's some kind of additive that extends the shelf life of the product. Maybe you're using one. If you use these flaked foods you can just reduce the amount you feed and make sure when you do your water changes, that you remove a good percentage of the tank water.

There is filter media available that removes phosphate. I've never used them, but I understand that type of thing is out there.

B

I feed either nls pellets or frozen foods so i doubt that's the problem. I'm really not sure if it was 1 or 2ppm though. When i get home I'll retest and see if i can figure it out.

You want to run higher phosphates if you have alot of non-green plants as Convict has. High phosphates does not mean your going to have algae problems. I run a 220g 100% planted high light tank with 2/3 of the plants being colored and I purposely run my phosphates between 5-10ppm without algae issues because of all the colored plants. If you have alot of plant but most or all are green then you only need about .5-1ppm phosphates and alittle higher nitrate of around 15ppm.

You want to run higher phosphates if you have alot of non-green plants as Convict has. High phosphates does not mean your going to have algae problems. I run a 220g 100% planted high light tank with 2/3 of the plants being colored and I purposely run my phosphates between 5-10ppm without algae issues because of all the colored plants. If you have alot of plant but most or all are green then you only need about .5-1ppm phosphates and alittle higher nitrate of around 15ppm.

Well i currently only have one colored plant, rotala macrandra, but i want to get a lot more.

Colored plants get better color with high light, low nitrates (I keep mine at 10ppm and no higher), higher phosphates (which you only need about 1ppm right now and as you increase the number of colored plants you can slowly increase phosphates up to 2ppm. Since you do have Macrandra I would keep nitrates at 10ppm.

Colored plants get better color with high light, low nitrates (I keep mine at 10ppm and no higher), higher phosphates (which you only need about 1ppm right now and as you increase the number of colored plants you can slowly increase phosphates up to 2ppm. Since you do have Macrandra I would keep nitrates at 10ppm.

Alright well i will do a pwc tonight to get those lower, and I'm super excited cuz i got my new quad t5ho's in the mail today!! My tank looks a million times brighter than with just dual t5ho!

Oh i forgot i also just got telanthera cardinalis, rotala wallichi, and rotala rotundfolia. I've also had rotala indica for a while now.

I just wanted add one thing. Don't let the phosphates scare ya too much. I've had phosphates off the color charts for weeks with no ill effects so... To say you want your phosphates to be 1.0 or under I'd say that sounds like more of an opinion then fact.

Again I'm new to plants so if I'm wrong then so be it.

If you plan on more reds and other colors your gonna want your phosphates 2.0ppm and nitrates 10ppm.

I just wanted add one thing. Don't let the phosphates scare ya too much. I've had phosphates off the color charts for weeks with no ill effects so... To say you want your phosphates to be 1.0 or under I'd say that sounds like more of an opinion then fact.

Again I'm new to plants so if I'm wrong then so be it.

If you plan on more reds and other colors your gonna want your phosphates 2.0ppm and nitrates 10ppm.

As long as it isn't harmful to my fish, I'm not scared by it lol. And i definitely plan on more colorful plants, i was just waiting to get my new lights. I just got home and retested phosphates and I'm pretty sure its 1 ppm. I think once my liquid ferts run out and i switch to pps pro I'll be able to better control phosphates (correct me if I'm wrong though).

Have you guys ever seen Tom Barr's tanks? He doses 5 ppm phosphate at a time. That can accumulate as high as 17 ppm. I've run as high as 10 ppm before without blowback. EI can easily get above 5 ppm. Generally speaking, high levels of just about anything don't matter all that much until they're really, really high, at least with respect to algae.

What I'm trying to say is: the best recommended value that we can tell you is "enough". Don't run out, don't run it too low, and you'll be fine.

Have you guys ever seen Tom Barr's tanks? He doses 5 ppm phosphate at a time. That can accumulate as high as 17 ppm. I've run as high as 10 ppm before without blowback. EI can easily get above 5 ppm. Generally speaking, high levels of just about anything don't matter all that much until they're really, really high, at least with respect to algae.

What I'm trying to say is: the best recommended value that we can tell you is "enough". Don't run out, don't run it too low, and you'll be fine.

Well that seems easy enough lol, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom