PHotos: Pearling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newzpix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Latest images from my 45-gallon tank. Shot around 9pm, just prior to lights and CO2 shutting off.

--> Thanks for the kind compliments.

The key to good photos: Get close to the positive elements and eliminate the distractions.

Or in my case, keep a camera on a tripod near the tank and hope for some good luck! :lol:

Attachments

• bubbles_01_372.jpg
    bubbles_01_372.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 41
  • bubbles_03_121.jpg
    bubbles_03_121.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 36
  • bubble_sm_181.jpg
    bubble_sm_181.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 31
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! pretty! soooooo coool! you have a really healthy balanced tank going! i'm finally starting to get pearling myself--and i feel such a great sense of accomplishment!

congrats!

It is very cool when plants pearl. They are telling you your doing a great job. Congrats!

There is nothing quite as cool as seeing all those little bubbles collecting on top of or under the leaves of happy plants. Awesome pics!

Nice photos! As usual.

"Newzpix, I noticed that all your photos are come out great.
Do you have photography experience? "

That is what I was going to ask you, then I checked out your profile.
A photojournalist... that explains it.

I'm looking forward to your future photos.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
is that second plant a crinum?

Great photo's BTW, I assume digital SLR since the background is out of focus?

Digital has no impact on the depth-of-field. (Depth-of-field being the space in front, and behind, the point of focus that appears to be in focus). Which is what you noticed about the image.

That is a function of the lens and aperture.

An aperture of f4 will have less depth-of-field than f16.

A wide angle lens will have more depth-of-field than a telephoto lens.

I use a Nikon D/SLR with a 105mm micro-Nikkor lens. It's a lens that is made to focus very close to the subject. The leaf in the top photo is about 1" wide.

These images are made at f4 - 1/80sec. With the 105mm lens, the depth-of-field is about 1/4".

As to the name of the plant, I thought it was an Aponogeton. But I am terrible about names.

Sorry, I had meant SLR I threw in Digital because you are posting and taking images which people tend not to do because of developing the film :)

SLR was assumed because the control on teh focal point is far superior to fixed lens, also being able to distort the background and draw attention to the center image, without losing the look of the background is a nice thing that is pretty close to unique with SLR.

I wasn't sure what aperature was, I know it's directly linked to the light level, dropping the aperature from 16 to 11 will result in a faster shutter speed (at least on my 35mm SLR) but haven't noticed any visual difference between the 2. Most of my pictures I take are with a 70-210mm telephoto. I find it allows me to have a lot of control on the way the images look. also allowing very good depth shots, and very shallow. (had a lot of people wondering why I was standing 40 feet away from a bride and groom, but they loved the pictures :))

Digital SLR is on my to do list, just not ATM.

So was it a crinum?

Wizzard

Aperture is the device which controls the amount of light thru the lens. Look at the rear of your lens -- see the multi-blade iris in the center -- that is the aperture. f4 is a wider opening than say f11.

All lenses, whether attached to a slr or rangefinder camera work the same. I could produce the same effect with a Leica, Contax or Coolpix. All the slr does is allow you to see thru the lens. Thus composition is easier.

Try this test: put your zoom on 70mm. Shoot the same subject, in exactly the same place, at f4, then f8, then f16. Have them stand at least 20 ft from a distinct backround (not a solid color). Look at the results. You should see the background becoming sharper as you 'stop down' the lens (go to a smaller -- higher # f-stop).

As for the plant name, I think it is an Aponogeton

Back
Top Bottom