Picking Plants from local source?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know you can pick rocks from local streams or ponds and boil them and they maybe ok. But can you pick plants and transfer them to your tank also? Or maybe if it is a new tank and you are just starting your cycle?

Never done this but curious if it's possible. In Kansas so you don't see many aquatic plants except in some streams.

Absolutely. There are a number of aquatic plants native to NA, ludwigia sp comes to mind first, followed by followed by Hornwort and Jungle Vals. I'd just be careful to ID it properly prior to introduction. A lot of marsh plants appear to be aquatic but are not.

i would check with you local DNR... i know it is illegal here in minnesota to collect aquatic plants without a license, plus you may unintentionally spread invasive species like Eurasian Milfoil...

Same goes for Florida, you have to be licensed to collect here, as many plants can get "invasive" status in the tropical climate. BUT that is not to say they can enforce that law at all times. I personally pull so much Hygro out of the props/intakes of jet boats and jet skis every year that it is a joke.

Also, dip your plants in potassium permagranite solution or alum to knock off any baddies. Not all plants can take the dip though, so be careful. An Excel dip may work, but I am not sure as I know it will kill Jungle Vals...

Back
Top Bottom