Pico Photo Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it turns out that the cloudiness was the start of Green Water which has gotten worse instead of better, so I won't be taking pictures as soon as I'd planned.

Well I did a water change to day, and it cleared up the water enough that I was able to get a reasonably good picture. It's at least enough to give you an idea of how the aquascaping is developing.

Attachments

• full_4months_180.jpg
    full_4months_180.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 454
I added some Red Root Floater (Phyllanthus fluitans) a few days ago. I had received a large amount and ended up with enough to spread some to all four of my aquariums. I really love the way the red roots look hanging in the water at the top of the tank.

Today I was delighted to discover that the GW has finally cleared and the water is very close to being crystal clear. Luckily it never turned into pea soup and perhaps the Red Root Floater played a part in clearing it. Either way I'm very happy to have it more viewable again.

I'll have to try to get some new pictures soon. I may have to see about building some sort of backdrop for picture taking. I've got a feeling that the pictures would be easier to take and look better without the white blinds directly behind it.

Very nice tank. I love pico planted tanks.

So are you going to put a Betta or Goldfish in it? That would look sooooo cool!

Just kidding

I put a background on tonight and snapped some pics for your enjoyment. It's really filling in quite nicely by now, and is definately crystal clear again. The HC has even consented to start growing as a carpet instead of just straight up as it had been.

Attachments

• full_5months_208.jpg
    full_5months_208.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 373
That is such a cool little tank, I don't know how you do it. One mistake and it's all over. Great work :)

Well I just got done tying some Flame Moss to the driftwood, so I'll take some more pics after it's grown out a bit.

My only other plans are to possibly try some Cherry Red Shrimp in there again. The first few that I added died shortly before the GW outbreak, so I'm guessing that an Ammonia spike caused both. Now that the tank is more established it should be safer to try again.

That's super cool- I can't believe I just saw this thread! 8)

Do you have any updates?

I've been trying to take an updated picture, but either haven't remembered to get out the camera at the right time of day or when I have the tank simply hasn't cooperated. The moss is still settling in and only has a couple of spots where it's started to take on it's characteristic flame look. The rest of the plants are doing beautifully, and I expect that in another month or two it's going to be quite stunning.

Well I actually had a bit more luck today, and got a few good shots of the pico. So here's one of the better ones.

Attachments

• full_6months_254.jpg
    full_6months_254.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 436
Today, on a whim, I decided to change the substrate in this aquarium. I have some Estes Black Sand on hand that I've been planning to use with peat moss in an HC emersed setup. Well I went ahead and used some as the new substrate in the pico. I think it looks awesome! The grain size is much more appropriate for the size of the aquarium and made planting the HC foreground MUCH easier.

Current plants are HC foreground, Anubias nana 'petite' in the midground, Flame Moss on the driftwood, and Microsword in the background. It's looking a bit sparse at the moment since I had to replant the foreground and retied the moss since the lower portion was looking rather raggedy. I'll try to get an updated picture soon.

Sorry to make you wait, but here's the picture. Of course my camera did an excellant job of finding water spots and some GSA. You can also see some of the air pockets that are still clinging to the substrate. These are slowly clearing up and I expect them to be gone in a few more days.

Attachments

• Full_17Months.jpg
    Full_17Months.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom