Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Pico Photo Log

Well, I finally found the perfect container to start a little 1/2 gallon Pico. I've been looking for months, but didn't find anything that fit the bill until tonight. I'd heard some others had some success at Pier1 Imports and decided to give them a try. Finally found what I was looking for!

Over in the Candles Section I found a 4.5" x 4.5" x 5.5" glass cube with a painted metal stand. The dimensions were perfect, though I haven't decided if I'll actually use the stand or not. If I do use the stand, I'll definately have to repaint it as the current look isn't working for me. Possibly a solid black or midnight blue.

Next step is to decide on lighting, and then have fun planting. I wish I had a good source for some really small branchy driftwood, but I don't thing that's going to be in the cards. Ah well. I've got a couple piece of petrified wood that might be the right size. I'll have to check later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg container_548.jpg (100.9 KB, 1289 views)

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Neat looking vase. Can't wait to see this develop.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's going to be cool, would look good on the stand. Got to paint it for sure!
Keep us posted
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
that will look awsome! Make sure you take a ton of pics as it develops. I'm excited

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's a great canvas Purrbox. I can't wait to see your painting.

I'm using this light on my nano........I'm very happy with it so far.
GlitcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I think that will make a great looking Pico tank Purrbox. Did you say you got it at Pier 1? I think I saw something similar at Linen's & Things (now I know what to do with that darn gift certificate).
Old 11-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxwell1295 Send a message via Yahoo to maxwell1295
I'm looking forward to this one....

125 Gallon Mixed African Thread, 75 Gallon Mixed Malawi Thread
maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Well I didn't have much luck looking for a light today. I really want to find one that will look good with the tank, won't take up too much space, and preferably only cost about $10-$15. Everything that I've liked the look of so far has been Halogen Lights, which would do a much better job of heating the tank than lighting it.

Glitch - That light you suggested looks promising, although it's pricier than I was wanting. My biggest concern is whether or not the base of the tank would actually fit on that platform. Since the base of the tank is 4.5" x 4.5" the corners might end up extending past the curves.

The light that I'm leaning heavily towards getting, although it's also more than I wanted to spend, is the Red Sea Dragonfly Light. It would look quite nice attached to the tank and the bulbs are replaceable. The 7 watts would also be more likely to get me the low maintainance tank that I'm planning.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i am in the process of setting up a nano right now actually. i found a light at canadian tire(obviously in canada lol) it was 15 bucks and has a 13 watt compact flourescent in it. its 4000k but u can but a 6500k bulb. i like the 4000k though. it is full adjustable. it pivots on the bottom and on the top and has a good reflector behind the bulb. really nice light.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
Glitch - That light you suggested looks promising, although it's pricier than I was wanting. My biggest concern is whether or not the base of the tank would actually fit on that platform. Since the base of the tank is 4.5" x 4.5" the corners might end up extending past the curves.
I measured it for ya........looks like it will fit.

GlitcH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
log, oto, photo, pico

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com