Picotope Planted Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thinking of starting a Picotope planted tank. Was wondering if any of you guys that are familiar with them can tell me what light fixture is on top of this one?

main.php

Is the filter that comes with this tank adequate? Or is something like this (LINK) better? I know the Eheim one's are nice and a lot of ADA tank owners use them, but I'm trying to do this the most least expensive way.. but I want a clean look if possible.

What other basic upgrades that are recommended for picotopes? What's a clean and cheap co2 system?

In terms of a heater, I am looking at the Stealth ones.. the 10w states it is for tanks up to 3 gallons.. would it be sufficient or is it better to get the next step up which is a 25w for a few bucks more? I believe the 10w is non-adjustable and remains at 78F. Perhaps the 25w is better because its adjustable?

The fixture looks like it might be a Current fixture. I'd go for the 25 watt heater. I've got it in my 2.5 gallon and it fits nicely while giving better control over the temperature.

The fixture looks like it might be a Current fixture. I'd go for the 25 watt heater. I've got it in my 2.5 gallon and it fits nicely while giving better control over the temperature.

Do you know where to get a current fixture... mini I presume? I've googled that actually and it appears to be discontinued (I could be wrong). Is there something that is comparable if it is?

I agree, looks like a current fixture to me too. What are the dimensions on the tank? we can help you find a suitable fixture with that info. catalina aquariums makes some smaller fixtures that I've had success with. I ran a 2x13W PC fixture on my 2.5g tank.

That filter in the pic will do just fine. I've tried those rapid canister filters and never had one (I tried 3 different ones) not leak at the seal on the canister.

@neilanh

The JBJ Picotope is a 3 gallon, 11-3/4" x 8-7/8" x 8"

Since I posted this forum, I actually came across Catalina lights. They are really reasonably priced! It looks like that I can possibly go with the Lighthouse models they have.

Do you think the 10in 13W 2 BULB COMPACT LIGHTHOUSE HOOD would work with the pico versus the 12in? I'm wondering this because the picotope is measured to be about 11" wide... I'm wondering when adding on the legs to the hood, since they kind of curve outward, that will actually extend out about and inch or more? Just worried if the 12in will look too large and be hanging off the edges too much? Also, I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm sort of new to the hobby, will the fixture with the 2 13w bulbs be better than the 1 bulb to support more live-plant growth? I've seen in forums here and there that people have these home depot desk lamps that are 24w of natural sunshine light. Would a Lighthouse Catalina Fixture that has 2 13w bulbs be basically a 26w light, putting out more lumens and so forth? Or will this fixture heat up the tank water in a little 3 gallon too much that I should stick to the single 13w fixture? LOL

These are the legs that they are selling from Catalina:
Legs400px.jpg

Most lights attach in a track that allows you to precisely control where they line up with the edges of the tank (which the ones pictured appear to be). I personally would go with one that is the same width as the aquarium if possible, or slightly longer. This will help prevent shady spots in the corners. I doubt that 1/2" overhang of the fixture on either side of the aquarium would be overly noticeable.

I have 2 x 13watts over my 2.5 gallon aquarium and it worked well. As long as you are willing to supplement carbon (CO2 or Flourish Excel) and dose ferts you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom