Pink or blue lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have both 15 watt tubes of light.
The first one is kinda pinkish and is branded nirox.
The other one is more bluish and is branded tfc.

Just want to ask which is better for plants? I'm really at the bottom of being novice in planted tanks. Thank you so much.

Tank Lighting

Hello poll...

It's best to provide the plants with a variety of lighting. The blue is 6500K and the pink 10000K. This is fine for the easy to grow plants. This is the type lighting I have and the plants grow well. Add a little liquid fertilizer like Seachem's Comprehensive. Dose according to instructions when you change the water.

B

Bluer bulbs have a higher K rating and pink bulbs have a lower K rating. Not the other way around as BB stated. Plants can utilize light in the range from about 5000K to 10000K but IMO a more balanced light around 6000-6700 is best. Higher K rated bulbs give more blue which can make red/pink plants and fish look washed out but looks brighter to the human eye. Lower rated K bulbs look duller to the human eye but give move red spectrum light which plants appreciate and makes pink/red plants and fish look truer in color. Many people like using 1-10000K bulb and 1-6700K bulb to give the tank a brighter look and to give plants both red and blue color spectrums they need.

Wow. :)

Seriously, I like my tank with the bluish light. The plants appear greener and the aquarium looks clearer. Only downside is, yes, the colors of the fish seems to be "washed out". especially my dwarf gourami and blue rams.

Well on the other hand, my fish looks really good in the pinkish lights. But other than that, the aquarium seems odd.

I don't have red/pinkish plants.
But what do you think should I be using of the two?

Thank you very much :)

I can only guess the K rating on them is okay and if plants are growing well then I wouldn't worry.

Really (and I say this as an electrician) 6500K is almost a pure white with a slight blue tint. If you do a search, your PAR (photosynthetically active region) is your reds and blues, excluding green. Search the spectra of your bulbs to find what is best.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you very much. I appreciate your responses.

So the pinkish is better for the plants?
But the bluish one looks better for the eye?

I think I'll just be alternating the use between the two :)

I'm having better luck out of the blue right now. Blue stimulates vegetive (the pretty green stuff) growth per many experts. Red stimulates the reproductive growth. Peak vegetive growth appears to occur at actinic blue. I've been doing lots of Googling which has inspired an experiment.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

The worst that can happen is that it blows up. :p One wire, hook it up; two wires blow it up. :scared:

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom