Pirahna Tank planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am in the process of moving my red belly's to a 75 gallon and I am thinking of doing some plants prefer low tech

Concerns are

- plants being uprooted
- triming and care with out getting bitten

Any thoughts or experiences you can share?

Any suggested plants?

i have seen several planted tanks with pirahna's. mostly anubias swords and java ferns. the anubias and java ferns can be attached to wood or rocks. dont be scared of them. worst case you can put some gloves on.

How bad are Pirahna bites? Are they that severe or do people exaggerate about them? I can understand if it was a big school of pirahnas but what if it were only a few? If they are that dangerous, then you should try to use type of gloves like Mgamer mentioned.

Highly depends on the size of their display, number of piranhas, species, and their size. They can and will bite if stressed and if large enough can provide you a lovely story to tell your surgeon ;) Piranhas can bite through most gloves and better to create a full barrier. Yes, you can keep plants with them, though some may be uprooted, shredded, etc.

I too am thinking about setting up a 65gallon pirahna tank. Me myself would think being bitten wouldnt be so bad the first time and would be a story to tell. I heard pirahna are a shy fish anyway. Im still deciding if i want to keep them. If i coukd be sure they wouldnt bite eachother then i would get some tomorrow! They are beautiful fish but cant imagine thyd look too pretty with bite marks on them.

Back
Top Bottom