Pittbully's planted tank journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My starter is buried in AA somewhere too. Mine was a 12g nano cube. Thankfully I didn't start with the clown puke gravel, just all black. Although the bright colored stuff did cross my mind, I'm not going to lie. But my version of planted was with plastic and silk plants. Also my lighting was all wrong.. I always had algae. LOL

I did have a mini castle once.. then I upgraded to a fake piece of DW.

Great progression!! You've really done well.

Seeing as you mentioned that you liked to see progression photos.

I turned this
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403559284.913291.jpg

Into this
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403559295.536424.jpg

In 8 months :)

Man that's awesome. Totally night and day difference.

Did you bring over anything from the old set up to the new one or did you start from scratch?

Man that's awesome. Totally night and day difference.

Did you bring over anything from the old set up to the new one or did you start from scratch?

Wow thats a question! Well the tank is from the start, the fluval u2 is from the start. Lots of money wasted!! Lots well spent.

Ive bought new lighting twice!

Pressurised co2 with countless diffusers and bubble counters

Liquid ferts and then dry ferts

Even a rodi machine to get the exact water chemistry i was after

A HOB filter was bought.

A whole range of plants tried and discarded if i didnt like them. Just experimenting.

The DHG survived though lol

The difference between the two pics is:
First pic - not being involved with this forum.
Second pic - advice and knowledge gained from this forum

Cool tank, pitbully. Your story sounds identical to mine. We got a 10 gallon for my daughter, not knowing anything, then I totally got into it and am now in the process of building up and stocking a 29 Gallon.

Cool tank, pitbully. Your story sounds identical to mine. We got a 10 gallon for my daughter, not knowing anything, then I totally got into it and am now in the process of building up and stocking a 29 Gallon.

Thanks Clyde. Yeah I didn't know much about fish keeping. I just knew that you had to wait to buy fish after you set up an aquarium, I was thinking a couple of days...until I google it and then I found out about the nitrogen cycle. So we had a beautiful unnatural tank with no fish for like 3 weeks (tried the fish less cycle), until I couldn't wait anymore and got a Goldie (I know poor choice).

Its funny how we get the bug! I never thought I could feel like this for a hobby. Fish freaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here we go...found some old comparison pics..ohh and the best tank ever too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1403633278608.jpg
    1403633278608.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 1403633303368.jpg
    1403633303368.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 1403633332887.jpg
    1403633332887.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 153
Nice growth from 1st to 2nd pic, but the 3rd pic is a real gem. Lol. Thought you were playing when you said you had the pineapple house.

Here we go...found some old comparison pics..ohh and the best tank ever too..

That gravel and decorations in the third picture hurts my eyes ?. Glad to see that you've come a long way in how you decorate your tank.

I don't play man... literally drained that thing and dumped all the contents into a hefty bag and threw it in the dumpster..

I don't play man... literally drained that thing and dumped all the contents into a hefty bag and threw it in the dumpster..

Haha! I remember having all of those colorful decorations and what not. That was 10 years ago, and I don't want to remember it either.

10 years?? Mine was 10 months ago hahah. sometimes I don't always think things through.. i was trying to get my gf interested and she thought it was hideous too... ahh all the $$$ spent on trash bound aquarium goods...

Brookster where did you buy that cool pineapple plant?!?
Oh wait nope its just a decoration hahaha

Glad you made the switch. Tank looks much nicer now

Brookster where did you buy that cool pineapple plant?!?
Oh wait nope its just a decoration hahaha

Glad you made the switch. Tank looks much nicer now

I picked it up at the supermarket and painted it myself! ! I sell them on ebay too;) thanks.. that pic is a month old and growth has exploded and algae has been beat back a good deal.. finally hitting that balance all you guys keep talking about..
Hey pitt, go figure.. diy co2 has been up for a day and I'm already on Craigs list looking for the real deal.. when does.it end???

10 years?? Mine was 10 months ago hahah. sometimes I don't always think things through.. i was trying to get my gf interested and she thought it was hideous too... ahh all the $$$ spent on trash bound aquarium goods...

I got interested in aquascaping about 6 months ago, and I started my first planted tank a year ago. I started an African Cichlid tank in 2008, and got rid of it last year. I had a bunch of fake decorations (Cichlid stones, a pirate ship, etc...). The overpopulated, dirty, and way overstocked cichlid tank drove me to change my ways. I decided that I wanted to have very peaceful fish and a somewhat natural tank. Not until I read an aquascaping magazine was I inspired to start aquascaping. Here are my tank transformations: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403636744.407731.jpg to this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403636770.982000.jpg

It is still a work in progress, but I've come a long way. These AA people knocked me into shape ?

I picked it up at the supermarket and painted it myself! ! I sell them on ebay too;) thanks.. that pic is a month old and growth has exploded and algae has been beat back a good deal.. finally hitting that balance all you guys keep talking about..
Hey pitt, go figure.. diy co2 has been up for a day and I'm already on Craigs list looking for the real deal.. when does.it end???

Hahaha....I feel ya! I'm always on the prowl for the real deal, wife and money holding me back.

I got interested in aquascaping about 6 months ago, and I started my first planted tank a year ago. I started an African Cichlid tank in 2008, and got rid of it last year. I had a bunch of fake decorations (Cichlid stones, a pirate ship, etc...). The overpopulated, dirty, and way overstocked cichlid tank drove me to change my ways. I decided that I wanted to have very peaceful fish and a somewhat natural tank. Not until I read an aquascaping magazine was I inspired to start aquascaping. Here are my tank transformations: View attachment 241282 to this View attachment 241283

It is still a work in progress, but I've come a long way. These AA people knocked me into shape ?

Fish, sweet tanks. I like seeing progression pics. What are those plants in the background on the first pic. Swords? I like them, big and bushy...like the 70s. Lol

Back
Top Bottom