Pittbully's planted tank journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish, sweet tanks. I like seeing progression pics. What are those plants in the background on the first pic. Swords? I like them, big and bushy...like the 70s. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! Yes, those are Amazon Swords in the background. They aren't quite as bushy as they used to be since I had to uproot them and cut them back to create more background space, but they give me no trouble whatsoever. I'm letting them grow out so they will regain that bushy appearance. My Panda Garra like to scrounge for algae on them haha

Its funny how we get the bug! I never thought I could feel like this for a hobby. Fish freaks.

Yeah, this "bug" bit me bad! For me, it's because I have a stressful job, wife, and two little kids, so I don't get out much. This hobby gives me something right there in my own home that I can tinker with whenever I get a few spare minutes. Perfect.

Yeah, this "bug" bit me bad! For me, it's because I have a stressful job, wife, and two little kids, so I don't get out much. This hobby gives me something right there in my own home that I can tinker with whenever I get a few spare minutes. Perfect.

I can relate (though the kids aren't little anymore).
Brookster - You should make that pic with the pineapple tank your profile pic. I'll see myself out now.

I can relate (though the kids aren't little anymore).
Brookster - You should make that pic with the pineapple tank your profile pic. I'll see myself out now.

That'd be the day.. I'll email it to you.. it's yours!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for posting the pics of your tank evolution. Looks like a lot of us started out the clown puke and decoration route, thankfully we got into another direction.

I borrowed your idea about splitting the photo period when you mentioned it last we spoke. Seems to be working well for me too, thanks.

Thanks for posting the pics of your tank evolution. Looks like a lot of us started out the clown puke and decoration route, thankfully we got into another direction.

I borrowed your idea about splitting the photo period when you mentioned it last we spoke. Seems to be working well for me too, thanks.

Mr Fisher you're welcome and thank you for checking out my work in progress...good to hear from you. I'm hoping to get some dry ferts here soon...so hopefully more pics of better plant growth.

When I had a bad black algae problem, I came across a few articles that stated that a split photo period would help and I must say it does. Excel works as well. Lol

Have you looked into metricide 14 as a substitute for the excel? Saves me big bucks...

This is a really inspiring thread! Great pics!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Skelly what are the specs on your tank? I really like it! How do you grow dhg that well?!

Sorry for the hijack. :hide:

Have you looked into metricide 14 as a substitute for the excel? Saves me big bucks...

Yeah I have heard of metricide 14. When I first joined all I kept seeing was ppl using glut and I was like "what's that ?" Lol. I will get some as soon as my excel is done.

This is a really inspiring thread! Great pics!

Thanks Fishperson. I had to search through 3 phones to find all the pics. Sometimes being a hoarder comes in handy. Lol

So the journey continues....

I recently ordered the PPS pro from gla and and a scale from eBay. While on eBay I said WTH and ordered an aquatek regulator with solenoid and metricide 14. Just need a high speed light and look out high tech I'm coming through.

Also took out my dwarf sag. It started melting in the middle. I thought if I did this I could save the rest.

I recently ordered the PPS pro from gla and and a scale from eBay. While on eBay I said WTH and ordered an aquatek regulator with solenoid and metricide 14. Just need a high speed light and look out high tech I'm coming through.

Also took out my dwarf sag. It started melting in the middle. I thought if I did this I could save the rest.

I can't wait to see your tank once you get the high tech going! :popcorn:

Awesome!! I asked around the guys at work for the digital scale.. i lucked out! Little awkward though.. big steps man! What are you thinking for a light? 2 finnex planted plus or the bml?

Welcome to the dark side

Im leaning towards the BML, but it's pretty pricey. What do you think? I've been on the fence with all other LEDs....current, finnex, ecoxotic, beam works.

Bml is going to be the cream of the crop but like you said.. big bucks.. 2 finnex p plus will be under 300 and put you in low end high light.. Brian nano just got the new new exotic e series and seems to be very happy with it.. I think that's around 300, 2 current satellite plus will be the cheapest and probably get you to the high end of medium light.. if it was my tank I'd do double finnex because I know what they're capable of.. it would also give you the option of running only one for the first half of siesta period lighting..

Last edited:
Im leaning towards the BML, but it's pretty pricey. What do you think? I've been on the fence with all other LEDs....current, finnex, ecoxotic, beam works.

It is pricey. I don't know enough about the other fixtures to comment on them aside from the Finnex. I have a FugeRay over 20 long. Gives me low medium to medium light. I would suggest the planted plus but not sure if that is going to give you the light you want over a 29g. Not sure if beam works has enough reviews since it is a newer fixture.
Summoning BrianNano...

This is why I've stopped reading about LEDs....So much to consider. Lol.

How does beam angle play into a decision?

This is why I've stopped reading about LEDs....So much to consider. Lol.

How does beam angle play into a decision?

Think a 90* would suit your needs just fine because it's tall and narrow whereas a 30b would be better off with a 120* angel because it's shorter and wider.. basically the spread of the light I believe..

Back
Top Bottom