Pittbully's planted tank journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm currently out on business and my wife is watching over my tank. This morning my tank went through and emergency. My wife let the water level drop pass the spray bar and water was being sprayed everywhere. Luckily she angled the spray at down back into the tank and that its in the garage. She is currently filling the tank and she says I owe her big time. She pretty mad at me for this. If this tank crashes; I think I'm going saltwater till I move.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447087906.423146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow that's low!! Good thing your heater wasn't out of the water.

I know right? when she sent me this pic I was like.....what! The heater was still on when she called too. I told her to unplug it immediately. How it's still ok.

But what happened?
Edit- reading helps! The evap dropped the water and the spray bar was angled up so it watered the floor? That sucks! Good thing she caught it!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I know right? when she sent me this pic I was like.....what! The heater was still on when she called too. I told her to unplug it immediately. How it's still ok.

Thankfully I haven't taken long vacations where my water level could drop that low...well unless I get a leak in a line.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But what happened?
Edit- reading helps! The evap dropped the water and the spray bar was angled up so it watered the floor? That sucks! Good thing she caught it!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aqua CSI. Yep that what I envisioned happening. Worst part my wife blames me for it. Only reason she caught it is because everything got wet. If it didn't she would've never told me. Friday can't come fast enough.

Thankfully I haven't taken long vacations where my water level could drop that low...well unless I get a leak in a line.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I filled it to the tippy top in hopes that my wife would have to worry about this problem. I also cut down my lights too. Not to mention it haven't been dosed in 10 days

I filled it to the tippy top in hopes that my wife would have to worry about this problem. I also cut down my lights too. Not to mention it haven't been dosed in 10 days

Bummer man,sry to hear this!

sit in silence...

I had the same concern going away on vacation so I bought a glass top. Then discovered having it on meant I could skip the mid week top-offs. Lazy I am.
Well, the temps have dropped and I suspect the heater may have come on quite a bit and if the humidifier isn't pumping a lot of moisture in the air then it will evap like a desert.
Let's turn this around. Maybe she is keeping the place TOO warm. Hmm.

Bummer man,sry to hear this!

sit in silence...

Yeah buddy me too. I don't ask about my tank when i call to check in daily, wife doesn't care about talking about that. lol

I had the same concern going away on vacation so I bought a glass top. Then discovered having it on meant I could skip the mid week top-offs. Lazy I am.
Well, the temps have dropped and I suspect the heater may have come on quite a bit and if the humidifier isn't pumping a lot of moisture in the air then it will evap like a desert.
Let's turn this around. Maybe she is keeping the place TOO warm. Hmm.

She's probably keeping it warm in the house in deed, but the garage is not connected to a/c system. It's only a few degrees warmer that the outside.
I should have taken the evaporation a little more seriously and planned better, but there's nothing i can do now. I didn't even think about the temps before I left. My hair was on fire with planning and family time. I figured it would be good. Fingers crossed it will be ok.

I so know that feeling I overflowed my sump like 5 times not knowing the pump was bad. be glad she was home to catch it , yes clean up is never fun it took me 4 days to get all the water out of the carpet , than we had a carpet cleaner guy clean the rug , it was unbelievable how much more water he got out , I never thought the rug would dry , now my sump sits in another tank so if it overflows it will be caught rather than spill over into house , I never want that headach again

I so know that feeling I overflowed my sump like 5 times not knowing the pump was bad. be glad she was home to catch it , yes clean up is never fun it took me 4 days to get all the water out of the carpet , than we had a carpet cleaner guy clean the rug , it was unbelievable how much more water he got out , I never thought the rug would dry , now my sump sits in another tank so if it overflows it will be caught rather than spill over into house , I never want that headach again

That sounds like a horrible story. You're right I was glad she caught it and that it happened in the garage. My wife would've flipped if it was inside the house. Hoping not to travel for a while when I get back and that there's no water damage to the table.

So I finally got a chance to get to my tank and perform major work. Below are before and after pics. Let me know what you think.

Before

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448690601.867133.jpg

After

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448690636.365399.jpg

I like em both!!!
Good job trimming the plants.[emoji1]

Clem

I see a back wall! Fish just built a bunkbed and have all this room for activities.
How long did it go without a trim? 2-3 weeks?

I see a back wall! Fish just built a bunkbed and have all this room for activities.
How long did it go without a trim? 2-3 weeks?

Lol. Yeah there's a lot more room for the endlers to get a running start to jump out the tank. I found two jerky bits. The growth was about 3 1/2 weeks. I even cleaned the tubing on the ehiem.

Back
Top Bottom