Pland ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkilling1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just recently got the planted tank bug again. So I cleaned up my 75g that has been pretty much untouched for the last 6 to 9 months. CO2 and lights stayed on their normal schedule, but no ferts or water changes. I didn't even clean the filter.

I just replanted all the plants that remained and have one that I am not sure what it is.

The one of the right is a rotala. The one on the left is the one I'm asking about.

Here are the plants that were in this tank:

Blyxa japonica
Echinodorus bleheri 'Compacta'
Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar'
Eleocharis acicularis
Eriocaulon parkeri
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hydrocotyle verticillata
hygrophila pinnatifida
Lindernia sp. 'India'
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form'
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia brevipes
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
Ludwigia palustris
Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin'
Lysimachia nummularia "creeping jenny"
Marsilea spp. (quadrifolia)
Micranthemum umbrosum
Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Persicaria praetermissa
Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum'
Persicaria sp. 'Sao Paulo'
Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf'
Proserpinaca palustris
Riccia fluitans
Rotala sp. 'Colorata'
Rotala rotundifolia
Staurogyne sp. ‘Porto Velho’
Taxiphyllum alternans
Taxiphyllum barbieri
I'm leaning towards Lindernia sp. 'India'. What do you think? Thx

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 82
It does look it but from the picture it looks like it has 3 leaves per node. I looked it up and Lindernia sp. India looks like it only has 2 per node. But i could be getting the wrong idea as i can't clearly see that it has three per node.

I'm going to have to pull some of it and take better pics. Most of the stem plants I have looked at have 2 leaves per node. I originally thought that is was just emersed growth of Rotala sp. colorata, but again, that only has 2 per node.

If it does have two leaves per node then i would say that im 97% sure that it is Lindernia sp. India.

I've had a tank that i didn't do water change for 6+ months i would just top it off when it got low to keep the noise down. My dwarf sag loved it not so much my hair grass, but when i went to take out the dwarf sag to start over there was enough to almost carpet half my 75 gal.

If it does have two leaves per node then i would say that im 97% sure that it is Lindernia sp. India.

I've had a tank that i didn't do water change for 6+ months i would just top it off when it got low to keep the noise down. My dwarf sag loved it not so much my hair grass, but when i went to take out the dwarf sag to start over there was enough to almost carpet half my 75 gal.

There's a thing called TDS. Not doing water changes builds this level up. TDS stand for Total Dissolved Solids. TDS is anything that is dissolved into the water including fish/plant waste. You may not see fish poo but it is slowly getting dissolved into the tank water. This lowers water quality even if your nitrates (in a planted tank to absorb them) are low. If the tank is not planted those nitrates are likely through the roof and off the charts. Water changes also replenish micro nutrients in the water for your plants. There's a whole article written on here about TDS and importance of water changes.

I'll admit I've slacked some for a few weeks myself because I've been busy but that's ridiculous.

Caleb

I'm thinking it's just a Rotala mutation. Other parts of the plant have 2 leaves per node.

EIDT: added a second pic of another Rotala in this tank and it also has 3 leaves per node.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I'll admit I've slacked some for a few weeks myself because I've been busy but that's ridiculous.

Caleb

Ridiculous? Why? because I'm not doing what YOU think I should be doing? Maybe someday you will have enough knowledge and experience to leave the little box you have put yourself in. There are numerous ways to maintain a planted aquarium.

Ridiculous? Why? because I'm not doing what YOU think I should be doing? Maybe someday you will have enough knowledge and experience to leave the little box you have put yourself in. There are numerous ways to maintain a planted aquarium.

It's called science. Research TDS. I was not trying to come off across rude just find it odd someone who is proclaiming to be an experienced aquarist neglects water changes.

Caleb

It's called science. Research TDS. I was not trying to come off across rude just find it odd someone who is proclaiming to be an experienced aquarist neglects water changes.

Caleb

You make assumptions of a persons background just based off of one post. Who does that? For your Info I have been a Nuclear Chemist for over 20 years. Do you really think I don't know what TDS is?

I would say Diana Walstad is pretty experienced. Might want to let her know that what she does is considered neglectful.

Lets not forget, Your rude comments were not invited nor solicited in this thread. I have never proclaimed to be experienced, but I can easily see that you are not just based on your myopic view.

Last edited:
Diana Walstad, not Watson.

You and Caleb should get along, he works at a nuclear facility himself

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Look. I don't magically know your profession in life. Many people come to this site with little or no knowledge of the hobby. Hearing of no water changes for 6 months is quite a frightening thought.

I don't know much of Walstad tanks. I only know of one user on here who actually has one and it's a nano.

even then IMO I'm a believer in water changes. As gentlemen, agree to disagree.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom