Planning my 30 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Over the next couple of weeks (I hope weeks and not months depending on budget) I would like to replace my 36 gal bowfront for this Hagen 30 gal with canopy. The lights under the hood are dual T8 bulbs 23-24" long. I would like to make this a planted tank and thinking of either Eco complete or Flourite base and cap with a black sand. Any opinions or options that would be given would be greatly appreciated. With this lighting can I do CO2 injecting?

I don't know much about lighting but I can vouch for eco-complete. I just started my new 20g with it in black and I love it! Its much better than the sand tank have and the dirt with sand cap tank I have. I think eco-complete also comes in a reddish color but I assume you will go with black if you are going to cap with black sand? What plants were you thinking of?

That is low lighting IMO and you wouldn't really need CO2. You will be limited to low light tolerant plants such as Crypts, Anubia, Java Fern regualar and Wendilov, Bolbitus, and possibly Jungle Val and Dwarf Sag.

That is low lighting IMO and you wouldn't really need CO2. You will be limited to low light tolerant plants such as Crypts, Anubia, Java Fern regualar and Wendilov, Bolbitus, and possibly Jungle Val and Dwarf Sag.

Lol. I was hoping you would say it was a medium light. I thought it might be because its dual bulbs being significantly brighter than the standard light on my Bowfront. Am I correct that only T8 will fit these sockets. Can't use T5? Or would I have to mod the hood and then there's whether that's worth?

You can only use T8's in the fixture. You could possibly look into some of those LED light strips if there was a way to mount them onto your hood. I don't know beans about LED's but have heard alot of other talk about using them as a supplimental light on tanks.

That might be something to consider. I have a Marineland single bright on a 20 gallon and the plants are doing very well.

I should mention that though the tank won't be in direct sunlight our room is an very bright open area with loads of windows so it get quite bright in here even on overcast days

Ok. I guess direct sunlight is an issue for algae then right?

No not necessarily. My 220g gets direct sunlight on over a 1/3 of the tank for a few hours a day and it doesn't cause any algae issue. As long as you only run your tank lights 6-8 hours a day the indirect light will not cause an issue.

No not necessarily. My 220g gets direct sunlight on over a 1/3 of the tank for a few hours a day and it doesn't cause any algae issue. As long as you only run your tank lights 6-8 hours a day the indirect light will not cause an issue.

Do you split your times or run the 6-8 hours straight?

I have high light with both T5HO's and Metal Halides in my 220g. I run the metal halides only 6 hours in that tank. The T5HO's run for 10 hours but they are very low light and my tank is very deep. In other planted tanks I have I run my light a straight 6-8 hours. I start my tanks at 6 hours then slowly up the light each week by 15 minutes until I see algae problems. Then I back it down 15 minutes. One thing tho, if your tank is new you will get brown algae, diatoms, regardless but keeping the lighting down will even help them from getting too bad usually.

Do you split your times or run the 6-8 hours straight?

I guess I'm trying to figure out viewing times and feeding schedule. I do like to see the tank at night but am being to realize I have the lights on too long. Currently it's set to go on at 7:30 am and off at 10:30 pm. Again I realize this is too long and will begin to slowly trim the times back as I've heard making too abrupt of a change can stress the fish. I've also heard of setups where the lights are on for a bit in the morning, off during the day, on again for a bit in the evening and then off for the night. What you thoughts on that? I really appreciate this.

I guess I'm trying to figure out viewing times and feeding schedule. I do like to see the tank at night but am being to realize I have the lights on too long. Currently it's set to go on at 7:30 am and off at 10:30 pm. Again I realize this is too long and will begin to slowly trim the times back as I've heard making too abrupt of a change can stress the fish. I've also heard of setups where the lights are on for a bit in the morning, off during the day, on again for a bit in the evening and then off for the night. What you thoughts on that? I really appreciate this.

Lol. I'm slow on typing on this iPad!

Splitting the light for viewing is perfectly fine! And it doesn't matter if you make the change all at once as it won't affect the fish.

EDIT: You also shouldn't have algae issues either.

My current tank has been running since April and the times have been set as described. Oddly the algae hasn't started to form until the last month and only on one surface.

So I sold my 36gal bowfront and had to quickly set up my 30gal. I wasn't to fond of the bowfront because IMO it had a tendency to distort the view inside. Loving the 30gal tank despite having to throw it together. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image-1907000332.jpg
    image-1907000332.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 46
First thing I thought of is a solid color background. Also need to clean the algae of the decoration. Any ideas how?

IMO black backgrounds make plants pop. What you can do is get some colored poster board to temp tape on the back see if you like the color. Also what type of algae? Do you know your phosphate and nitrate readings? Most importantly how long do you leave your lights on daily?

IMO black backgrounds make plants pop. What you can do is get some colored poster board to temp tape on the back see if you like the color. Also what type of algae? Do you know your phosphate and nitrate readings? Most importantly how long do you leave your lights on daily?

The algae was initially green but now I think I'm see short strands of black algae (BBA possibly?). I don't know those readings. In the future I would like to invest in those kits. In regards to lighting they were on for 15 hours. As I mentioned there hadn't been any algae before. I did start to dose weekly with Flourish and I think that may have caused it. The light on the Bowfront was a single 24" T8. The light on this 30gal is dual 24" T8. Will that affect things. Obviously I need to cut my lighted time back but to what?

Back
Top Bottom