Planning my vegitation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crockwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so I made a post about a light in the equipment forum, but I wanted to come here and get some advice on plants. I have a basic plan and idea on what I want it to look like but I need to make sure it will work.

I've actually gone to the length of sketching everything out. I've attached the sketch if you want to use it as a reference.

So my plan is to build a sloped "retaining wall" with slate on the left side of the tank that is about 4 inches higher than the substrate. Then I will fill in behind that retaining wall with additional substrate to build sort of a shelf. The other side will feature some decently sized river rocks and a huge or 2 large pieces of driftwood.

For plants I'm looking at using micro sword on the substrate floor to form my carpeting. To cover the back wall of the tank I'm looking at using amazon swords. The idea for those will be to try and prune them so they will fan out across the back of the tank and eventually completely cover the back.

Now for the questionable things I need help with. Up on the shelf I'm looking at using melon sword for the height, along with some type of lower cover to fill in over the stems. On the opposite corner, I'm looking at using something high also, but I'm wanting to use something with a bit of a different texture. I am thinking maybe moneywort over there. I'm hoping you guys who know species a little better can help fill in some of the holes. I'm really not sure about the melon sword, or moneywort, and I know I'm going to need some help filling in some of the mid ground.

So, anyone have some favorite plants they suggest, or ideas?

Attachments

• 2010-05-15 20.53.54.jpg
    2010-05-15 20.53.54.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 46
Really, I haven't thought about anything other than what I mentioned. The simple reason for that is I am new to the aquarium and plant world. That's really why I posted all of this. I'm hoping for new ideas and options that you guys are going to throw out.

I really like that suggestion Crepe. I'll need to do some more research (as I dont know whether is it is background or mid ground, height, etc) but I really enjoy the various greens that show as the leaves twist.

Also, I'm curious to know where you would see this particular plant? Replace the moneywort? The melon sword? Or throw into the mix?

This plant is one of my favorites, it gets VERY tall so it's definately background. It gets so tall sometimes you end up having a floating mat of vallis over your tank so it needs to be trimmed a bit every once in awhile, Moneywort gets to be a pain sometimes, it grows just too fast. Vallis is easier to manage.

Back
Top Bottom