Plant anchors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't, but I've never needed them either. I've heard they work. Do you have fish that are uprooting your plants?

I've planted using both tongs, which allow me to plant between other plants without disturbing existing plants, and by just using my fingers. I've only had an occasional plant come come loose (always a stem plant) and once replanted, it stays.

I wouldn't go to the expense and have these plastic things around your plants if you don't absolutely need them. Even if they work I'd recommend against them.

It'd be nice for larger plants like anubias but for stem plants it would space them too apart. I just plant most things without weights, and the stuff that I do put weights on I usually take the metal strips that the plants come with and cut them into 1/4s.

Thanks guys, the anchors were for two reasons, the first is that I'm in the planting stage and floaters annoy me especially with a quartz sand cap. I'm already considering changing the cap under only the plants to Eco or the oil absorption material Jeta mentioned to help with rooting.

The second reason is that this is a cichlid tank and I eventually will have some angry fish try to uproot some plants. I've made it very difficult to get to the bottom of any plant, but it's not a matter of if, but more like a matter of when and those anchors may not only help to anchor them at that point, but they may hold them steady early on to quicken the roots digging down. (especially till I stop digging around to add the initial plants)

I love these anchors! As I keep notoriously plant-difficult fish (goldfish), these anchors have proven themselves very helpful in keeping plants of any type in place. The only difficulty that can arise is attempting to remove the anchor from a well rooted plant but my guys rarely allow things to venture this far. :)

Those are good reason for anchors MeCasa. Let us know how they work for you!

I have sand substrate and ive never needed anchors for any of my stem plants. Plant your stems deep into the substrate

Back
Top Bottom