Plant arrangement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I saw the book list - which ones would be good for people who are bad at plant arrangements? I need something that will give me a detailed map to show me exactly where to put each plant - like what landscapers do with plant and flower arrangements in yards. Are there any websites that have maps for arrangements? Thanks!

I don't really know of any books on the topic. Most plants in the store have a tag that says their typical placement (foreground, background, etc.). If not you can find this online. I personally think it is a matter of trial and error, and that is the fun part.

I'd suggest any of the books by Takashi Amano. They won't really list what to put where, but his aquascapes will give you great inspiration for how to arrange the plants, rocks, and driftwood in your tank.

If you really want to know, just have fun in placing them youself, everyone has their own tastes. But in general, this might sound like "duh", but it didn't hit me till I read it... place the taller plants in the back, and the smaller ones towards the front. Be aware that taller plants may kinda branch out or just be a bit thick.. and can over shadow other plants under them, which means those smaller ones don't get any light, or just too little. Obviously there will always be a little overshodowing.. so don't stress too much. I guess thats all I've got, hope it serves some help to you :)

I live by the philosophy "Nature is Random", so most of what I do is random.

I do the 'typical' small plants in front/large plants in back, then if there's too much on one side but hardly anything on the other, I move some over.... BUT I also try not to space things out evenly. (It doesn't look natural).

I also prefer to have only a few different types of plants, instead of many different species all over the place.

When I get bored, I redecorate. The fish seem to get a kick out of it.

I hope this helps.

I totally second Takashi Amano, there really is not an outline, but there are just hundreds of pictures of all his tanks. One of them was done in total glosso, which took a year to grow but man does it look awesome!

I completely agree with d9hp, you find Amano in almost any aquarium magazine, even in the june issue of "Tropical Fish Hobbyist". They showed different plant techniques and stuff, though informative, not many pics, they focused on algae this month. I am sure you'll find his works or other works of planted aquaria everywhere, just search :D - You'll find it a lot faster than you think, the only thing that will take a while is actually planting the green ones in your tank :mrgreen:

I'll definately check out the books by Amano. Have any of you tried the plant packages that already have certain types of plants in them? I found a couple for 20 g tanks and might try that.
I am a complete moron with plants. My friends often call my apartment "the plant hospice' where plants go to die. Hopefully I'll have better luck with aquatic plants!

Have any of you tried the plant packages that already have certain types of plants in them? I found a couple for 20 g tanks and might try that.

Yes! this is the way to go for a low-medium light tank. Look for either low-medium light packages, or the ones that are labeled Hard To Kill! No offense intended, but these would likely suit your purposes quite well. I bought some packages when first starting, and very much reccomend them. buy soon, before it gets hot, plants ship best in spring or fall. They will likely look bad when you get them, but plant away, you'll be surprised how fast they look much better!

Before saltwater decided to kidnap me, I spent many hours just looking at other peoples tank pics on the net. The japanese sites have convinced me that they have taken planted tanks to an artform. There are many sites that had contests for planted tanks and browsing through the winners gave me many ideas. Now, I have a jungle tank.....no more landscaping, everything just growing random,mostly because the Java Moss has taken over.....anybody want some?

mostly because the Java Moss has taken over.....anybody want some?

Great beginner plant, but I'd like to get rid of mine too.

The japanese sites have convinced me that they have taken planted tanks to an artform.

I decided to stop looking at all that and make a tank to please me, I'm not an artist, never was never will be! just want lots of happy plants and fish. leave the contests to the pros.

Man.. by the time I get the lights set up AND the CO2 system as well, my 29G is going to be a mini-amazon! Muwahaha :twisted: I am thinking about Java Moss because I hear guppies like it... its going to bascially be a guppy tank for now.. but that decision won't be official till I move in my apartment Aug 1st. Who knows what I will do considering my A.D.D. likes to be in full gear constantly!!

I do have one question though, do plants multiply that much? I wouldn;t mind spending the money on a variety of plants, but not multiples of them if they multiply themselves... thanks :mrgreen:

They do not multiply, they just grow, so you need to cut the ends of them with some clean sissors. Then they will grow a side shoot type thing. So they really wont multiply, you do it for them. You then just bury the top part you cut off.

They do not multiply, they just grow,

Well some plants, yeah, others multiply like mad! Val, Sag, multiply like crazy, by runners. Crypts, slower, but same thing. Some stem plants grow lots tof side shoots too. Even Java fern and java moss, they grow, you separate, they grow more, soon you have more than you know what to do with.

If you see Barrons Aquarium Plant Manual there is a layout chart in it I bought it for 5 dollars Canadian So what ever the exchange rate is probley about half that.
plus there is a great deal of info in it.

Chris.

Great beginner plant, but I'd like to get rid of mine too.

You want my address>? LOL very rare to fine here.

Back
Top Bottom