Plant Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Malaysian DW is another popular DW that is safe and sinks easily. I trust that one and the other two Coursair mentioned.
There are certain types of wood they may not be safe (evergreens come to mind) for aquarium use.
I once picked up some DW from a gift shop at the beach. They had a yard full of DW. Really great selection. After many months, only one of the four pieces appeared to be okay. The other pieces were somewhat soft, took forever to sink (months), and are now breaking down (chalky brown residue on outside).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you guys have any sites of where I could buy it? C:

Ah alright thanks c;

If I were to get drift wood from a lake or river near by, and dried it out for several months as well as washed it thoroughly (or used dead root systems and washed out from near my house) would it be okay to use in the tank then?

Yes but just like Fresh said make sure it's not evergreen wood (pine), hardwoods are best. The pieces I currently have I collected myself.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I were to get drift wood from a lake or river near by, and dried it out for several months as well as washed it thoroughly (or used dead root systems and washed out from near my house) would it be okay to use in the tank then?

Only if you can identify it as a hardwood. Softwoods are bad and will leach toxins, killing your fish.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Only if you can identify it as a hardwood. Softwoods are bad and will leach toxins, killing your fish.

Is there a way u can test that.? Just helping the OP

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I have no clue how to identify hard wood.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

It's easiest when it's never been submersed. Also, just by looking around the area can give some good clues. After it's been submersed for any length of time it's much more difficult.

I have no clue how to identify hard wood.

Hardwoods have leaves, softwoods have needles. Hardwoods loose their leaves in the winter, (most) softwoods retain their needles year round. If it's wood that came from a body of water, it's a 50/50 chance of what it may be. Unless you're certain what the tree was before it was cut down, again with the 50/50 chance. In the 20 years of cutting trees I've had plenty of sawdust in my mouth. Taste tests never lie. ??.

I'd be able to use oak wood then? Because there are plenty of oak wood trees around here.

Back
Top Bottom