Plant Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julixttx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm planning on getting some Java fern(s) and Anubis for my 10 gal tank in the future.

In the tank I will solidly have 5 guppies and 2-3 snails, the other fish are undetermined (glofish and rasbora).

I was wondering how to take care of plants and how many of each plant would be alright for the 10 gallon? Is it a particular dirt/sand/gravel needed? And as well how would I control the CO2 levels and oxygen levels for the fish? Would they also need a certain heater and what filter/lighting is recommended?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

Alright that works xD would I be able to fit 2 Java ferns and 1 Anubis into the tank?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

If you want it to be densely planted, you could probably fit 10 or more java ferns around the back, sides, and corners and several anubias in the middle and foreground.

Java ferns grow about 8inches, perfect for a 10 gallon

Alright so I was thinking 5-7 Java ferns, and what type of ground would they need?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

Anything, they don't get benefits from drift wood either just so you aren't confused, they just like it

Do I could put a gravel grounding and a piece of drift wood as well as a few other decorations like a rock or two maybe and they would be alright? What about the Anubis? And do they need any specific light?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

Yay my javas are set lol they are the prettiest in my opinion and look the most relaxing.

The Anubis would be in the same environment right? And what would the heating and recommended lighting be?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

Would the plants work with a kit heater and filter?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

The plants will be fine they are very hardy, and all you will need to do is trim off dead leaves sometimes. I have some of mine in a little tank with no heater or filter, and they do just fine.

Weird...I've never seen a java fern that looks like the one in the video.

There are several varieties of Java Ferns young Padawan.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Java_fern
Several varieties of this species have been cultivated. They are:
Microsorum pteropus Windeløv (Java Lace Fern or Lace Java Fern) See Tropica

Microsorum pteropus Red. (Red Java Fern) - Withdrawn by Tropica in 2007 as colour only appeared under emergent conditions.

Microsorum pteropus Philippine. (Philippine Java Fern)

Microsorum pteropus Tropica.

Microsorum pteropus Narrow. (Narrow Leaf Java Fern) See Tropica

1. Microsorum pteropus

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia
Region
Country of origin
Height 15-30 cm
Width 12-20+ cm
Light requirements very low-high
Temperature 18-30 °C
Hardness tolerance very soft-hard
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Microsorum pteropus is a water fern which should be grown on a root or stone, attached with fishing line until it has gained a hold. If it is planted in the bottom, do not cover the rhizome because it will rot. Easy to propagate by splitting the horizontal rhizome. A hardy plant which grows in all conditions. The black spots under the leaves are sporangia (reproductive organs), not signs of disease as many believe.

2. Microsorum pteropus "Windelov"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia, Cultivar
Region Cultivar
Country of origin Cultivar
Height 10-20 cm
Width 12-18+ cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv' is a patented variety of M. pteropus, named after Tropica's founder Holger Windeløv. Its finely branched leaf tips make it one of the most beautiful aquarium plants. A hardy and easy plant for both beginners and the more experienced. Best results are obtained by planting it on a stone or tree root. If planted in the bottom the horizontal rhizome must not be covered. This plant is not eaten by herbivorous fish.

3. Microsorum pteropus "Undulata"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia
Region
Country of origin Thailand
Height 10-35 cm
Width 10-25 cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
Hardness tolerance very soft-very hard
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Variety of Microsorum pteropus with wide, wavy-edged light green leaves. In most conditions the plant grows appreciably larger than Microsorum pteropus, and is therefore best suited to larger aquariums. The plant was originally found in southern Thailand. See also Microsorum pteropus.

4. Microsorum pteropus "Narrow"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia
Region
Country of origin
Height 10-20 cm
Width 10-20 cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Microsorum pteropus is a highly variable species, and new varieties are easily bred. M. pteropus ''Narrow'' has narrower leaves, which grow at a less acute angle from the stem than the normal M. pteropus. The plant attaches readily to roots and stones. A decorative plant, which is also suitable for smaller aquariums. See also Microsorum pteropus.

5. Microsorum pteropus "Phillipine"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia
Region
Country of origin Philippines
Height 10-30 cm
Width 10-20 cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Variety of Microsorum pteropus with strikingly beautiful long, slender 'hammered out' leaves. Microsorum pteropus ''Philippine'' grows readily on roots and stones, but can also be planted directly on the bottom - but not too deep. The plant is hardy and also suitable for larger aquariums. It is tolerant of salt, and originated from the island of Panay in the Philippines, where it grows right out in the tidal river mouth and thrives both below and above water. See also Microsorum pteropus.

6. Microsorum pteropus "Red"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia
Region
Height 10-30 cm
Width 10-20 cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Variety of Microsorum pteropus characterised under good growing conditions by new leaves with a reddish brown colour. The leaves turn greener as they age. The leaves are longer and broader than the standard variety of Microsorum pteropus. An impressive plant, also in larger aquariums. Originally found in southern Thailand. See also Microsorum pteropus.

7. Microsorum pteropus "Taiwan" or Microsorum pteropus "Needle leaves"

8. Microsorum pteropus "Tropica"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Cultivar , Asia
Region Cultivar
Height 15-50 cm
Width 15-30+ cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands easy

Microsorum pteropus 'Tropica' grows fast and is bigger than M. pteropus. Highly distinctive, with dentate leaves. Older leaves are sometimes lobate (up to 5 cm lobes). M. pteropus 'Tropica' has been bred by and named after the Tropica nursery in Denmark. Microsorum pteropus 'Tropica' is patented and may only be produced commercially by licence. A beautiful solitary plant for large aquariums

Above courtesy of Tropica.

New types are being sold.
Trident and Mini etc...

Some varieties pop up due to variance in conditions.

I have 4-5 varieties growing in my tanks.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are several varieties of Java Ferns young Padawan.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Java_fern
Several varieties of this species have been cultivated. They are:
Microsorum pteropus Windeløv (Java Lace Fern or Lace Java Fern) See Tropica

Microsorum pteropus Red. (Red Java Fern) - Withdrawn by Tropica in 2007 as colour only appeared under emergent conditions.

Microsorum pteropus Philippine. (Philippine Java Fern)

Microsorum pteropus Tropica.

Microsorum pteropus Narrow. (Narrow Leaf Java Fern) See Tropica

1. Microsorum pteropus

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia
Region
Country of origin
Height 15-30 cm
Width 12-20+ cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Microsorum pteropus is a water fern which should be grown on a root or stone, attached with fishing line until it has gained a hold. If it is planted in the bottom, do not cover the rhizome because it will rot. Easy to propagate by splitting the horizontal rhizome. A hardy plant which grows in all conditions. The black spots under the leaves are sporangia (reproductive organs), not signs of disease as many believe.

2. Microsorum pteropus "Windelov"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia, Cultivar
Region Cultivar
Height 10-20 cm
Width 12-18+ cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv' is a patented variety of M. pteropus, named after Tropica's founder Holger Windeløv. Its finely branched leaf tips make it one of the most beautiful aquarium plants. A hardy and easy plant for both beginners and the more experienced. Best results are obtained by planting it on a stone or tree root. If planted in the bottom the horizontal rhizome must not be covered. This plant is not eaten by herbivorous fish.

3. Microsorum pteropus "Undulata"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia
Region
Height 10-35 cm
Width 10-25 cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Variety of Microsorum pteropus with wide, wavy-edged light green leaves. In most conditions the plant grows appreciably larger than Microsorum pteropus, and is therefore best suited to larger aquariums. The plant was originally found in southern Thailand. See also Microsorum pteropus.

4. Microsorum pteropus "Narrow"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia
Region
Country of origin
Height 10-20 cm
Width 10-20 cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Microsorum pteropus is a highly variable species, and new varieties are easily bred. M. pteropus ''Narrow'' has narrower leaves, which grow at a less acute angle from the stem than the normal M. pteropus. The plant attaches readily to roots and stones. A decorative plant, which is also suitable for smaller aquariums. See also Microsorum pteropus.

5. Microsorum pteropus "Phillipine"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia
Region
Country of origin Philippines
Height 10-30 cm
Width 10-20 cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Variety of Microsorum pteropus with strikingly beautiful long, slender 'hammered out' leaves. Microsorum pteropus ''Philippine'' grows readily on roots and stones, but can also be planted directly on the bottom - but not too deep. The plant is hardy and also suitable for larger aquariums. It is tolerant of salt, and originated from the island of Panay in the Philippines, where it grows right out in the tidal river mouth and thrives both below and above water. See also Microsorum pteropus.

6. Microsorum pteropus "Red"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Asia
Region
Height 10-30 cm
Width 10-20 cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands very easy

Variety of Microsorum pteropus characterised under good growing conditions by new leaves with a reddish brown colour. The leaves turn greener as they age. The leaves are longer and broader than the standard variety of Microsorum pteropus. An impressive plant, also in larger aquariums. Originally found in southern Thailand. See also Microsorum pteropus.

7. Microsorum pteropus "Taiwan" or Microsorum pteropus "Needle leaves"

8. Microsorum pteropus "Tropica"

Family Polypodiaceae
Continent Cultivar , Asia
Region Cultivar
Height 15-50 cm
Width 15-30+ cm
Temperature 18-30 °C
pH tolerance 5-8
Growth slow
Demands easy

Microsorum pteropus 'Tropica' grows fast and is bigger than M. pteropus. Highly distinctive, with dentate leaves. Older leaves are sometimes lobate (up to 5 cm lobes). M. pteropus 'Tropica' has been bred by and named after the Tropica nursery in Denmark. Microsorum pteropus 'Tropica' is patented and may only be produced commercially by licence. A beautiful solitary plant for large aquariums

Above courtesy of Tropica.

New types are being sold.
Trident and Mini etc...

Some varieties pop up due to variance in conditions.

I have 4-5 varieties growing in my tanks.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay, thanks Mr. Obi Wan Kenobi. I'll have to get some different kinds of java fern now.

Back
Top Bottom