Plant deficiency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Look It Up
I have a 29 gal aquarium and am currently just using a single T8 florescent 17w 8,000k bulb. I just ordered a 20w 6700k bulb to see if that makes a difference.

I have low-light plants: Java moss, java fern, anubias bartieri, anubias congensis.

Many of the leaves are turning yellowish-green and some dark spots are appearing on some of the leaves. Some have holes in them too although none of my fish or snails eat the plants.

According to this graph it seems as if I have at least one deficiency, maybe more.

I dose 1/4 tsp of Flourish per week and do a 50% water change per week. My nitrates never get over 5. I do not have CO2.

Is there something else I should be using to help the plants out with nutrients? I tried increasing the light to a dual T5 fixture but I have light sensitivity and the light was too intense for me so increasing the light more isn't possible right now.

Any thoughts?

I'll try adding some pics later if that would help.

Thanks in advance.

Potassium deficiency maybe. Had an issue with an Anubias a while back, yellowing edges and small holes. Dosed some potassium and it got better within a week.

Your Planted 29 G

I have a 29 gal aquarium and am currently just using a single T8 florescent 17w 8,000k bulb. I just ordered a 20w 6700k bulb to see if that makes a difference.

I have low-light plants: Java moss, java fern, anubias bartieri, anubias congensis.

Many of the leaves are turning yellowish-green and some dark spots are appearing on some of the leaves. Some have holes in them too although none of my fish or snails eat the plants.

According to this graph it seems as if I have at least one deficiency, maybe more.

I dose 1/4 tsp of Flourish per week and do a 50% water change per week. My nitrates never get over 5. I do not have CO2.

Is there something else I should be using to help the plants out with nutrients? I tried increasing the light to a dual T5 fixture but I have light sensitivity and the light was too intense for me so increasing the light more isn't possible right now.

Any thoughts?

I'll try adding some pics later if that would help.

Thanks in advance.

Hello library...

Like getting your take on aquarium issues and maybe I'm speaking a little out of turn, because I'm not more than a few years into planted tanks, but I've found three things that help my plants. So, for whatever they're worth, here they are and they may be too obvious:

Match the lighting to the plant and use 6500 K bulbs. The light blue color comes closest to natural daylight at 5500 K. Low light plants need a single bulb, again 6500 K. Moderate light plants, two bulbs and strong light, three. More light demanding plants, four. I use T8s in the taller tanks and T12s in the shorter ones.

Aquatic plants do best in water with high levels of minerals, so large weekly water changes are need.

Aquatic plants need a source of Macro and Micro nutrients. The Macros come from the fish, so a well stocked tank is needed and feed a balanced diet. the Micros come from a commercial source in dry, liquid or granules, dosed according to instructions. I like "Microblast" from the Earth Juice
Company.

Pretty simple.

B

Sounds like maybe potassium and/or iron. Check your nitrates too; 5 seems extremely high to me.

Back
Top Bottom