Plant Dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know the plant dip is suppose to be 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Does anyone know if I can use Clorox for the bleach or does it have some additivies that might mess things up? And how long would I put Java Moss in the dip for?

I got this from a seperate source. I hope this informatio helps:

A simple procedure of dipping your plants in a 10 mg/l potassium permanganate solution for 10 to 15 minutes then rinsing them with clean water prior to their introduction to the aquarium will get rid of snails and snail eggs. An alternative method would be to soak the plants for 2 to 3 minutes in a 5% bleach solution for 2 to 3 minutes, then rinse the plants in water with chlorine remover added (the same chlorine remover that you would use in your aquarium).

I used the 19 to 1 clorox dip for 2 minutes on several plants to kill brush algae. The plants survived but really took it bad. The algae came back worse on the weakened plants. I have not been able to find the potassium permanginate. I hear that a solution of hydrated lime also works.

PP is much easier on the plants. (and your clothes) It's really the only way I can recommend dipping plants.

as long as it's plain clorox bleach, no added scents, etc...its fine.
i've done a bleach dip. it is a little harsh on the plants, but it'll destroy algae.

Yeah, but too many people screw up with bleach, including some of my own staff, whereas it's harder to do with the PP.

I put some Java Moss in this Ferrero Rocher Box and put it under a 34 Watt Floursecent Bulb and it has developed lots of stringy kind of algae. Good thing I only put a small amount in there. It has some light green pieces coming from the older pieces so I think it's growing ok?

Where do you get PP? It is not easy to find, and that is what drives many to the bleach method.

Each plant variety can tolerate only a certain number of minutes, so you have to determine the correct length of time depending on what kind of plant it is. I think java fern can handle it best.

I buy mine from chemical supply companies in bulk, but you can also get it at plumbing supply stores. It's used to recharge ion resin filters in some water softening units.

Well I tried the bleach method. I put the Java Moss in the solution and waited about 2 minutes before running the tap water on it for about 5 minutes. I immediately put it in some water that was conditioned with the dechlorinater. I then swirled the Java Moss around in the water to get the hair algae off. I poured the water out again and then put it back in the container that was cleaned out and filled with some tap water that was conditioned with the dechlorinater. I put it back under the light and a little bit later little bubbles appeared on the Java Moss. Is this normal?

i think Sears might carry PP also, by their water softners/purifiers. I know I've seen something pink in jugs there before.

Flukes Control ( a medicine from Aquatronics) is pure PP

Back
Top Bottom