Plant fertalization info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeborahAnne

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi peeps,

2nd week into cycling my 130 litre tank, I have two tiny tetras in there, and I've just added my driftwood and some new plants.

Mini Lilly pad
Large Amazon Sword
Mini Anubis I attached to the driftwood
With fishing line.

I got some Sera Florenette A tablets to place at plant roots.

My question is how often do I give them these tabs?

I just planted them today and put a tab at the roots!!

Attachments

• image-1723702046.jpg
    image-1723702046.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 61
Ok I hate to just jump into a random thread to ask this, but I cannot find the option anywhere on the iPhone app to start a new thread. I didn't want too pm some random person ether that may be weird for someone.

I've been wondering the same thing! I've heard people say like once a month, or whenever the tab is gone, but I'd rather not dig through my substrate to find a root tab

And after your tank gets started good I wouldn't use anymore fertilizer. There will be enough fish poop to do that job. I used it when I first got live plants just to get the roots going.

I have been reading a lot about the subject, and there are 3 schools:

- once: use it to start the tank, then rely on water/liquid ferts and fish waste;

-every 6 months or when plants show signs of deficiency (yellow leaves, retarded growth, etc)

-as often as they are used: this is the most aggressive approach, sometimes with root tabs inserted every 90 days or so.

Since I decided to go DIY dry ferts, for 12 bucks I have enough ferts for 2 years, so I might go for a more chemically enhanced approach.:)

And after your tank gets started good I wouldn't use anymore fertilizer. There will be enough fish poop to do that job. I used it when I first got live plants just to get the roots going.

Hi Taiken,

You have to go to forums and pick a topic and click on it, ten up the top is a rectangle with an arrow pointing out click in it and it should say start a new thread, but you have to be in the right area, as in here all you can do us reply to my thread!

I hope that helped its a little hard to explain lol

Hi Taiken,

You have to go to forums and pick a topic and click on it, ten up the top is a rectangle with an arrow pointing out click in it and it should say start a new thread, but you have to be in the right area, as in here all you can do us reply to my thread!

I hope that helped its a little hard to explain lol

Someone PMed me and told me. Thanks though.

- once: use it to start the tank, then rely on water/liquid ferts and fish waste;

-every 6 months or when plants show signs of deficiency (yellow leaves, retarded growth, etc)

-as often as they are used: this is the most aggressive approach, sometimes with root tabs inserted every 90 days or so.

Since I decided to go DIY dry ferts, for 12 bucks I have enough ferts for 2 years, so I might go for a more chemically enhanced approach.:)

Can you share how you did your DIY fertilizer? The main reason I don't use it is because it is expensive.

Ahhh ok, it says nothing in instructions about frequency of application how STUPID!

So I'll see how they go as its a new tank and I'm new to the hobby.. I'll just add a tab with new plants..

Thanks for the info Rcguerra :)

Can you share how you did your DIY fertilizer? The main reason I don't use it is because it is expensive.

Osmocote + (with Micro and Macro nutrients) inside gelatin clear capsules size 0.

I use them on a nano cube, but other users (with bigger tanks) can make it even more affordable: they use aquarium water and they freeze ice cubes with Osmocote inside. When the right time comes, they just insert the icecube under the substrate.

Attachments

• image-2320247399.jpg
    image-2320247399.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 39
If you have root feeders, esp Crypts or Swords then you should replace them per instructions. If there are any. Or for DIY like I use, I replace every 4-6 months.

My tanks are heavily planted and even my one tank with a lot of fish, they are little fish, so I use Flourish Comprehensive and root tabs.

If you have ONLY Anubias , Java Fern, or Mosses you can skip ROOT tabs :)

PWCs weekly are important for plants as well as fish health.

My goodness do the mini Lilly pads grow SUPER fast or is it my imagination that the one I planted 3 days ago now has 4 pads floating on the surface already!! WOW!

What others grow super fast?

Back
Top Bottom