Plant food!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most planted tanks we do weekly partial water changes. 25-50%. Fish are fine with it. Delicate fish or rare Shrimp i do 25% changes weekly or more often if needed.

Stop rinsing filters in tap water. Use dechlorinated water or the water you pull out of tank.

It's better to have stable water than bounce ph up and down.

Check your tap water. Let it sit 24hrs and check again.

Ok thanks and so i did a water change again and decided to check the perameteres and here are the results... Some i think dont look good
Nitrate 40
Nitrite 0
Ph 6
Kh 0
Gh 0
Why is hardness at 0?

Do you live somewhere where the water is conditioned/softened?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What water conditioner are u using? Seachem prime?

What test kit are u using?

Your results are very extreme are u sure u are testing properly?

Have u tested the ph of your tap water?

I use api 5 in 1 test strips and i dont use any conditioners or sofeners because water has no chlorine i belive
And i might live somwqhere where water is soffened but im not sure ... How can i raise hardness? Thanks

I use api 5 in 1 test strips and i dont use any conditioners or sofeners because water has no chlorine i belive
And i might live somwqhere where water is soffened but im not sure ... How can i raise hardness? Thanks

Coral. And add Seachem Equalibrium. Read up on it.

Last edited:
It's all well and good to just keep throwing chemicals into your aquarium but I would be trying to find the source of the problem rather than just temp fixing it with chemicals only for the same thing to happen over and over. Strips are highly inaccurate. If be getting liquid tests if I were you

My best guess is your water source is being filtered. What you described is what I would expect if I were using RO/DI water. But unless you contact someone to get more info about your water...it's a guess.

It's all well and good to just keep throwing chemicals into your aquarium but I would be trying to find the source of the problem rather than just temp fixing it with chemicals only for the same thing to happen over and over. Strips are highly inaccurate. If be getting liquid tests if I were you
How can i find the source?

Sometimes the regional water values of the waterworks are displayed in the pet shop.
Do not take strips, better special liquid indicators.
I'm old-fashioned. The pH I measure with Censny indicator. The total hardness with soap solution Boutred and Boudet. I measure the carbonate hardness with methylorange and 1/10 normal hydrochloric acid. (for many years).
To stabilize (buffer) the pH, place a chalkstone in the tank

Are the liquid testers cheaper? Because lately ive been spending WAAAYY too much money on my aquarium so im trying to lay off right now with spending money...

It is not good to save in the wrong place.
Fish cost money, water plants too. And the many work, if the success is missing.
The test strips are also not free.
In the modern kits, the chemicals (indicators) are expensive, and there is little in the bottle. This is true, but the old methods are not so expensive.

I found for you 2 links:

The total hardness with soap solution I have not found. But it is simple.
The soap solution to Boutron and Boudet is available.
A shaking bottle with glass stopper is needed. With brand for 40 ccm.
Into this amount of water is added with an injection syringe a small amount of the soap solution. Shake. Foam is formed. But he's still crumbling. Add more solution. Until the foam is stable and no longer crackles. Read the quantity solution on the syringe.
2.4 ml = 12.3 ° dGH

Farbskala für Czensny-Indikator - Mitteldeutscher Lehrmittelvertrieb
KH-Messung

Back
Top Bottom