Plant Friendly Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Whisperer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just came into a 55 gallon tank and was considering creating a planted tank.

Before I decide to do that, I would need to know what fish are planted tank friendly. Is there a list somewhere or a guide?

most community fish works. dont know any list off hand. maybe go to the lfs check out what they have write down what you like and research them.

maybe go to the lfs check out what they have write down what you like and research them.

This is usually your best bet as the list of compatible and noncompatile fish is long. Just research first. Where are you from in Indiana?

I have koi, and some other larger "fancy" goldfish varieties in my tank, they are not really plant friendly fish, but the most problem I ever had was the fish uprooting the plats, but some larger rocks around the base of the plant helped a lot. Not to say that i still have to do some gardening here and there.

Off had some to steer clear of would be like said above...African Cichlids (Malawians mostly, some Tanganyikans would be ok, but would need a species tank), Goldfish (eat most plants), Koi (same), and some fish eat certain plants....like Siamese Algae Eaters tend to eat fine leaved plants. Other than that, there are alot of compatible fish...especially those considered community fish.

Oh yeah, and definantly don't get any crawdads/crayfish because they will strip leaves off plants and basically prune them to death. Another lesson learned the hardway. Plus they will rearrange your tank however they see fit.

Back
Top Bottom