Plant Gurus Need Some Aquatic Plant Suggestions for Shallow Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
Like the title says, I'm looking for some plant ideas for the aquatic side of my Paludarium. Particularly moss or small lilies that would cover the surface

FTS;
img_1915907_0_c36cbcc06daf3dc4d4bd8c3d0a950bea.jpg

FTS - Long View;
img_1915907_1_902010344ca8e819cb107737154f2dc8.jpg

Journal thread can be found here;
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...lamander-paludarium-192117-4.html#post1915855

Id go for some frogbit :) it would do the job

Yep - good eye. I got the package quite some time ago thinking the tank would come together much faster than it did. My not so local LFS is 2 hours away, so I have to kind of plan ahead on those rare trips north. Anyway, just got them placed in there yesterday. Several are still green, so I'm hoping they will pull through.

Current plant list;
Microswords (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis);
img_1916098_0_57eff98059d1fed34c56aee47552afd2.jpg

Microswords and the Dwarf Hairgrass (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Eleocaris parvula);
img_1916098_1_db4dcd2cff3d16681bdafe137d1041a9.jpg

Bacopa (Bacopa caroliniana);
img_1916098_2_6203a1c0f717ca1d11e78ea0b64bcc53.jpg

Ruellia And the Rabbit Foot fern (Davallia solida)
img_1916098_3_d51a598fca34e0a5d9e7444aeb2b0580.jpg

The hairgrass looks pretty good, although they don't really seem to have any roots? The Bacopa looked terrible, but a little of it appears to be looking better today.

You know what might be pretty cool are some taller hairgrass species such as eleocharis acicularis or montevidensis that will grow out of the water. As far a surface growers go, they might not be what you're looking for. Unfortunately, most of the common species (frogbit, water lettuce, salvinia sp.) will grow roots down a good 1-3", which will muck with your aesthetics something aweful.

I would be really tempted to find somewhere to put some UG in a tank like this and see if it sticks around.

If you want to stick with the grassy look, how about blyxa japonica?

I've also got a fairly large amount of emersed/submersed mix of ludwigia repens if you wanted to change it up with some darker colors.

Last edited:
You know what might be pretty cool are some taller hairgrass species such as eleocharis acicularis or montevidensis that will grow out of the water. As far a surface growers go, they might not be what you're looking for. Unfortunately, most of the common species (frogbit, water lettuce, salvinia sp.) will grow roots down a good 1-3", which will muck with your aesthetics something aweful.

I would be really tempted to find somewhere to put some UG in a tank like this and see if it sticks around.

Ok guys, I appreciate the help, but your dealing with someone here with virtually zero knowledge of even the "common" aquarium plants - I'm learning as I go here. so I got the taller hairgrass species, although I don't know that I want too much grass - I'm thinking it may already be overdone a bit is some places. I may move them more towards the shoreline. Gotcha on the surface dwellers, so I may try just some normal duckweed, although even that can get a fairly long root.

Help me out - UG = ?

If you want to stick with the grassy look, how about blyxa japonica?

I've also got a fairly large amount of emersed/submersed mix of ludwigia repens if you wanted to change it up with some darker colors.

Thanks jeta, I'll have to look that one up as well.

Edit: Ok, like that one, little concerned about its invasive tendency in this small of a tank however. Thoughts on that aspect?

Blyxa is definitely not a fast grower. I wouldn't consider ludwigia to be invasive in its growth, it can grow fairly quickly but I don't really consider it a fast growth plant either. In nature it generally grows in small patches, often not more than a few feet in area at the most. For ludwigia, if you keep it going emersed, it's going to likely send all the stems up and out of the tank towards the light. That said, it shouldn't be a problem trimming them back if they ever start spreading outwards rather than upwards.

Back
Top Bottom