plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I currently have a 54ltr tank and have plastic plants and it would be nice if i could upgrade to real plants, but I have a few questions.

What are the requirements for easy care plants (if they exist)
Do i need uv lighting or is a standard bulb good enough?

Co2 what do I need to produce it?

Additionally what other requirements do they have?
Thanks

Low-light plants are pretty undemanding. An 18W daylight spectrum (~6500K) CFL would be enough for anubias, java fern, most mosses, and many crypts.

UV light won't do your plants any good.

You really don't need to inject CO2 into a low-light plants, but it wouldn't hurt if you don't go nuts. Look up DIY CO2. It can be a bit messy, but it would work for your tank.

Thanks for the reply, i have a 11w spec do i need to replace it then? And i suppose the light only needs to be switched on during the day.

Also do you have aany resources which will help me with how to plant/feed etc. I have absolutely no experience with aquarium plants.

Yes, you'll need to replace the light for best results. You're below the 1 Wpg level which would drastically limit your plant selection. If it's an incandescent bulb, replace it with a CFL. If it's a fluorescent tube, you'll have to do a little more work.

Generally you leave the lights on for 8-12 hours. I leave mine on for about ten hours, split into two photo periods so I can have the lights on when I'm home from work.

plantgeek.com has a really nice non-aquatic plant list. Keep it handy when you go looking for plants. They also have some general information on aquatic plants also. Stem plants get planted in the substrate. Rhizome plants either get attached to rocks and wood or planted in the substrate so shallow that the rhizome isn't covered. Feel free to ask here when you pick some plants.

With a low-light tank, you really don't have to dose fertilize either. The plants do fine with fish waste. SeaChem Flourish is a decent comprehensive fert if you're adamant about dosing.

Lol, thanks will check it out.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of plants, i read a source which stated that they use up some of the nitrates.

Also what is a cfl light, because i would like to get some plants and am prepared to upgrade.

I need plants which dont grow to big or info on keeping them small.

Where can i purchase these lights from. Also be more specific if possible please I havent a clue what im getting except for the wattage, which is just about the only thing that i do know to do with these lights.

It depends on what your goals are... what are you planning to keep in the tank?

Easy maintenance like java fern and anubias that pretty much don't require anything other than light? Or easy mainetance as in no co2 just a trim here and there?

Well i am new to plants so to be honest im not too sure. I would like plants which need low light but dont really require anything else, such as CO2.

Currently an 11w spec. What shall i replace it with?

CFL is compact flourescent light...fort recommended before that you could go to a hardware store, look for the DAYLIGHT CFL light with the spectrum from 6500-10000k..

i have a friend, she grow the coral, and she buy a LED light hang up the tank. wow, this so beautiful and the coral growth very good.

daileene said:
CFL is compact flourescent light...fort recommended before that you could go to a hardware store, look for the DAYLIGHT CFL light with the spectrum from 6500-10000k..

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom