Plant help..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kishore

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was searching the Internet for buying hairgrass. I came across two varieties of hairgrass in a website. The Dwarf Hairgrass and the Japanese hairgrass. Which one is better in your opinion? What are the pros and cons of each?

Also, both hairgrass come in a potted type and as a bunch. The potted type was cheaper. I don't understand why. Which out of these two will be good for creating a carpet?

I can't really help. My only thought would be to see if anyone is growing either of them locally eg fish clubs or online sales.

I was searching the Internet for buying hairgrass. I came across two varieties of hairgrass in a website. The Dwarf Hairgrass and the Japanese hairgrass. Which one is better in your opinion? What are the pros and cons of each?

Also, both hairgrass come in a potted type and as a bunch. The potted type was cheaper. I don't understand why. Which out of these two will be good for creating a carpet?

Normal hair grass is too large for a carpet. Dwarf hairgrass is ideal for a carpet. It's not an easy plant to carpet either. Needs high light and co2 injection to form a nice carpet.

Normal hair grass is too large for a carpet. Dwarf hairgrass is ideal for a carpet. It's not an easy plant to carpet either. Needs high light and co2 injection to form a nice carpet.
Is it easy to form a carpet from a moss, like Java moss?

Java moss will cover anything it can in ideal situations

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it easy to form a carpet from a moss, like Java moss?

Yep most low light carpets are done with Java moss. You can tie it down to stainless or plastic mesh and bury the mesh in the substrate abit. It should grow out and spread with regular trimming forming a nice carpet effect :)

Yep most low light carpets are done with Java moss. You can tie it down to stainless or plastic mesh and bury the mesh in the substrate abit. It should grow out and spread with regular trimming forming a nice carpet effect :)
How is the CO2 requirement for a java moss carpet??

How is the CO2 requirement for a java moss carpet??

Non required at all. Java moss will even grow without light (keep it away from any drains in your house) it can also grow in cold water.
Some people even say it grows better in cold water and low light.

Most moss/plants will do better in cooler water than most keep thier tanks at

I really like this tank. This is the October TOTM. What do you think is that floating plant on the top left. Would like to have it in my tank.

Attachments

• 1487295213913.jpg
    1487295213913.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 49
Ludwiga repens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom