plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moenaise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had my tank up and running for over a year and as of late have been having some trouble with plants dying. The latest is a Madigascar lace. It was doing great for about 2 months then within 2 days it started turning brown. Some of the other "hard to kill pants" such as some amazon swords have been browning as well. I recently started dosing with flourish excel to get rid of some black beard algae, which is gone from what I can tell but other than that I haven't done anything different.
29 gallon
5 neons, 2 gbr, 1 platy, 1 siames algae eater, 2 plecos 1 snail
Current led, aqueon 30 filter, hydor pump.
I try to keep the light on around 8 hours a day. Water changes every week.
So my question is what could I be doing wrong or what could I change to save my plants. Thanks for any help in advance.

So I have had my tank up and running for over a year and as of late have been having some trouble with plants dying. The latest is a Madigascar lace. It was doing great for about 2 months then within 2 days it started turning brown. Some of the other "hard to kill pants" such as some amazon swords have been browning as well. I recently started dosing with flourish excel to get rid of some black beard algae, which is gone from what I can tell but other than that I haven't done anything different.
29 gallon
5 neons, 2 gbr, 1 platy, 1 siames algae eater, 2 plecos 1 snail
Current led, aqueon 30 filter, hydor pump.
I try to keep the light on around 8 hours a day. Water changes every week.
So my question is what could I be doing wrong or what could I change to save my plants. Thanks for any help in advance.

Are you dosing any additional ferts? Like flourish or trace?

If not I'd say due to you zapping with excel (a liquid co2 product) this has caused your plants to draw in more nutrients. Since using more nutrients they have used them all up and are now starving to death.

What's your nitrate level at? You want it to be 5-10 atleast never 0.

I am adding flourish every other day and also just added some root tabs. Should I be adding iron as well? What would be a good weekly cocktail for the tank? Up for any solutions.

Yea id get some trace aswell. Just dose what the bottle recommends if your lightly planted

Back
Top Bottom