Plant I.D. yet again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
One day I hope to give as much advice as I ask for. Picked up these two small plants that I didn't need but just couldn't resist. As usual, the folks at the LFS had no idea what they were. They were healthy so I snagged both for $4.88. The one on the bottom left of the photo has very small leaves tipped with red. The one on the upper right looks like cambomba but it is not as delicate. Thanks again.

on the lower right it is hygrophilia polysperma rosenervig i am picking up a bunch of this in a day or to for the same price. the rosenervig will grow very fast and the higher light u have the deeper red the tops will be.

Thanks guys. Wizzard, it's not Wisteria, as I have tons of it in another tank. Maybe Water sprite. The lower left plant is not hygro rosenervig but good guess mr funktastic. Got a bunch of that growing in my ten gallon(thanks Wizzard) Probably some kind of Ludwigia, it's already turning redder in my tank. Hey Wizzard, if you want to try somemore Mac I'll be cutting the lawn soon. You are one of the few people close by that have the light to grow it. If not, I'll post it sometime next week. Just picked up a 65 watt Coralife PC fixture. Having algea problems now, always gotta mess with things, never content! Working on it. Thanks again.

I have to get a better reflector put together.. my lighting can't focus.. when I do I'll be adding another 4' T8 (making it 6 T8's for 224w (or pretty freakin high light), 1 fixture is 2xODNO).. but that won't be for a week.. if you're going to mow the lawn :) I'ld love to give it another shot. but until I get the extra light on it I don't think it will fair that well.

I thought watersprite and wisteria were the same.. guess not..

Still trying to get hemianthus "cuba" to get a foot hold, but plecky keeps sweeping it's feet out from under it, tho I do have more then I bought so I assume it's growing (just not in the gravel)

The plant in the upper right certainly looks like watersprite (Ceratopteris thallictroides). You can tell for sure because its new leaves tend to start out in balled up bunch that unfurls outwards, sometimes within just a few hours. It is a very fast grower and does well in medium or higher light. Can get hard to handle without frequent pruning.

It's hard to tell, but the plant in the lower left has a leaf structure that strongly resembles some type of Hygrophila. It is possilbe that it's Ludwigia, but my guess from what I can see would be otherwise. A closer picture would help :wink:

watersprite and wister are close to the same thing, they look alike but wisteria is sometimes not seperated leaves into smaller looking leaves instead of one big one and watersprite is almost always seperated into many leaves

The plant near the top one is definitely Ceratopteris thaillithrodes,the fine leave variety,I know because I have this variety.The bottom one does look like Ludwigia,maybe a narrow leaf variety?

nitrous said:
watersprite and wister are close to the same thing, they look alike but wisteria is sometimes not seperated leaves into smaller looking leaves instead of one big one and watersprite is almost always seperated into many leaves

They do look very much alike, but watersprite (Ceratopteris thallictroides) is a fern, where wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) is a flowering plant. Similar appearance, but very different evolutionary backgrounds.

Thanks

Thanks for all your help guys. I think the plant in the upper right corner is watersprite. I have Wisteria and this plant definately has a more fern like apperance. Here is a closer pic of the bottom plant. Thanks again. :D

My first thought was hygro for the bottom left, but I changed it to ludwiga.. looks a lot like hygro polysperma (same species as rosanervig)..

Well, if it's Ludwigia I hope it makes it in my tank. My last try at Ludwigia repens didn't go so well. All of it died within a week. Made a mess on the way out as well! Keep you posted. Thanks again.

i am 99.9% positive that it is the hygro rosenervig. they have it at the superpet near me (i am assuming this is where u bought it becasue they are having a sale on there poted plants and they actually have the little identification tag with it and that is what it is labelled as. it is identicle to the plant that i picked up today and it was labelled as the rosenervig.

The lower right could very well be hygro rosanervig, I gave him some which gave him the same "weed effect" it has in my tank. he was asking about lower left and upper right.

The lower left is far to short a leaf for rosanervig. but the species looks the same.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
The lower right could very well be hygro rosanervig, I gave him some which gave him the same "weed effect" it has in my tank. he was asking about lower left and upper right.

The lower left is far to short a leaf for rosanervig. but the species looks the same.

I agree, the leafs are too short to be rosanervig. I'm still leaning towards Ludwigia.

Here is one more shot of this plant. This is a clearer close up shot. I believe it is Ludwigia. I has very small leaves which look to scale in my small tank. Hope it stays this compact. Thanks again for all the help :)

Back
Top Bottom