Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys. I got these plants at the LFS and with them in the bag i got some of another floating plant. Here are pics

image-2945872735.jpg

image-3304833520.jpg

I can get more pics if they are needed

Is the stem plant hygrophila corymbosa? The floating plant looks like azolla. let us know.

Atxpunx said:
Is the stem plant hygrophila corymbosa? The floating plant looks like azolla. let us know.

Yes and yes! Thanks Atxpunx!

Is there a specific way to trim the hygrophila corymbosa ? Or just trim it?

And is the azolla kinda like duckweed? ( invasive wise)

It's what I do :). I have no experience with either plant. If the hygro is like most stem plants, when it gets too tall you can clip the plant at a lower internode and leave the rooted section to sprout new shoots and replant the clipped stem so that it can root and form a new plant. The azolla is not like duckweed, nothing is like duckweed. Most floating plants require minimal surface movement to thrive if a hang over back filter creates a lot of surface agitation it will move the floating plants towards the water output and push it underwater to where it might get stuck on a plant underwater and not come back up, causing it to die. If you put the azolla in a still part of your tank it should do okay. Once again I have no experience with the plants in question, I'm just speaking in generalities of the type of plants they are.

Back
Top Bottom