Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a plant that came as hitchhiker when I received some Java Moss from someone, does anyone know what this is and how I should care for it?

ForumRunner_20120826_151625.jpg

So far I've just been leaving it free floating and it seems to be growing.

It's generally used as a foreground or carpeting species, although the latter effect will need strong light and CO2. It's more low-medium light tolerant than many carpeting species, although it's a slow grower under the best of circumstances.

I agree, brazillian micro sword. I had some growing in my 10g with medium lighting (2x 15w CFL) and after about 6 months I had about the same amount as a pot of HC.

Well I received it about a month or so ago and its been free floating this whole time, it was only about an inch long and I didn't think it would survive but I threw it in the tank anyways and now its close to 6 1/2 to 7 inches long (I'm counting that from root base to root base, not including the leaves)

That's good that it is doing well. I'd plant it in the substrate and see how it does. What kind of lighting do you have?

Will it even grow in my substrate? I have black diamond sand in the tank where my plants are. (I haven't had time to plant it yet, I've been gosh awful sick and have kept my hands out of my tanks)

butterfly_koi said:
Will it even grow in my substrate? I have black diamond sand in the tank where my plants are. (I haven't had time to plant it yet, I've been gosh awful sick and have kept my hands out of my tanks)

It depends on what size/shape your tank is. If it is very tall (like a 55 or 29) it may have problems growing. You could wait for it to get bigger and then break it in half and keep half floating but use the rest for seeing if it will grow in the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom