Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe23455

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I am not sure of the species name of the attached plant. See photo.
Echinodorus spp? or something else.
Leaves are 3-4 inches long at most.
Cheers
Joe

Attachments

• plant_4.jpg
    plant_4.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 155
  • plant_4.jpg
    plant_4.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 84
Family Name: Alismataceae
Scientific Name: Echinodorus horemanni
Common Name: None
Substrate: rich
Lighting: medium
pH value: 6.5-7.5
Hardness: 2-15odH
Temperature: 64-79oF (18-26oC)
Height: Over 24 in (60 cm)
Distribution: Southern Brazil
Characteristics: Leaves short-stemmed, lanceolate, stiff, parchment-like, dark green, slightly undate along the margins.
Aquarium use: Showplant, only for very tall tanks

Might be known as a "Red Rubin sword". Not sure if it's the same, but it's the only sword I know with that color leaf. I did think it may have been an aponogeton (spell??) type but looking closer, I don't think it is. They can look a lot like swords.

Red Rubins and E. horemanni are generally sold under both names, especially in LFS's. I would gruess it is E. Red Rubin---horemanni's tend to have a narrower leaf. either way, if properly kept, they will be magnificent plants. :p

That's entirely possible as they are quite similar. The only thing is that the narrow leaf variety is MUCH less common in the hobby. I get them for customers who tell me that they are generally not available in LFS's. If your ID is true, you have quite a find!!!!! Keep us up to date on their progress.

Lots of luck with them!!!!!

Dear Lowcoaster,
Do you know of any morphological differences between the "standard" and the Narrow leaved varieties? Other than the obvious :?
The LFS has a number of these and they all seem on small size and narrow leaves. They were not expensive at all.
Cheers
Joe

Hey Joe,

Taking a closer look at your pictures, I would say you have juvenile Red Rubins, not the narrow leaf variety. If you look at the largest leaf, the stem comes up and then the leaf fans out--this is the leaf shape of the standard Red Rubin. In the Narrow Leaf, there is a smooth, gradual transition from stem to leaf. Now, I am not a botanist and this is just my opinion. If they are not expensive, I would snap them up anyway---Red Rubins are not usually cheap. The size in your picture (3-4 inches high?)run $5-7 in my LFS's. When I import Red Rubin Mother plants, I charge like $25 (about 12 inches high and very full).

I say buy the farm on these!!!

Good Luck

hi,
I see what you mean about the petiole transition to leaf. I think I could get 3 for $9 CDN. Not sure what I would do with them as I only have one tank and a 16G at that.

I am cultivating some small Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv' off my "mother" plant for my tank. I really like these.
Cheer
Joe

Back
Top Bottom