Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeanMurphy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've recently recieved a bunch of plants for next to nothing from a pet store that was closing out (I also got some mouse tanks for my other beasties). I was wondering if anyone could ID the plants for me, as I'm having a hard time similar plants apart, not being an expert. I've posted pictures of all 5 plants up

here

All I need is a name, and I can find the rest of the info on the interwebs. TIA.

I'm with Jchillin on 1,2, and 4 but I think 3 may be an Alternanthera variant of some sort. Either that or possibly a non-aquatic that may disintegrate if kept underwater, so you may want to keep your eye on it. And I think number 5 is Cyperus helferi, a pretty hard to find plant. Its leaves can easily get over a foot long.

1 is a sword for sure, Echinodorus sp (amazonicus?)

2 is definately Nymphoides aquatica (banana plant)

For 3 i was thinking emersed Alternanthera. But I could also believe it is a Ludwigia. It has water roots at the nodes, so i do think it is aquatic.

4 is a tough one, certainly looks like a type of bacopa, the leaves are too round for submersed monnieri, but maybe emersed form. "baby's tears"

Also for 5 Cyperus helferi looks about right. The way it fans at the base keeps me from thinking Sagitaria. It could also be any number of marginal (semi aquatic) grasses that are commonly available.

Number 4 was the only one that had a tag, though I'm not sure how far I trust it. It read "Moneywort" and had lighting/feeding instructions. Thanks for all the info, guys. Its kind of cool to think I might have gotten a rare plant, if indeed that's what the grass is, and not just some kind of semi aquatic.

If it were a semi, it wouldn't do so well in deep water, would it? I'll keep an eye on it and see how it fares in the tank. Like I said, I got all 5 out of a closing FW tank setup on store credit that I had from returning some baby mice (they sold me a pregnant female when I bought my first two girls) so I'm not terribly concerned if one out of five turns out to be a dud.

If the tag said Moneywort, then that confirms it is Bacopa, most likely Bacopa monieri. Do a search on that, there are many reputed medicinal properties of this plant. It is interesting, even if many of the claims are ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom