Plant ID... ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Heyas!

I picked up 3 bunches of (what I thought) were low light plants @ my LFS last weekend and wanted to confirm their IDs.

Here's the pic:

361826083_3865b71c08.jpg

Larger version here if it helps : link

Anyway, from left to right

- Anacharis

- Corkscrew Val

- Java Fern (has yet to really 'get happy')

- 'FoxTail' (or so said the label) - the main question, really. It's grown literally about 2" PER DAY for a week now and I'm curious how to split it...

- More Anacharis

- Cabomba (in the corner)

Are these IDs all correct, from what you can tell?

tia -

Hornwort, is sometimes called foxtail, or coontail. It can be split where ever you want. Keep in mind, that it will never root, and they tend to die off at the bottom. Trimming the bottom away will keep them looking good. The ids of the others are also correct.

Not familiar with the term myro filagree, so I will assume, you mean Myriophyllum sp., which also looks similar, although that is definitely Hornwort, Ceratophyllum demersum, in the picture. Therein, we see the problem with common names, which are sometimes regional, and sometimes at the whim of the retailer.

Thanks! :D

Well thanks for clearing that up! :lol:

I'm not sure how I'll manage using the hornwort as background planting, but thanks to its growth rate, even if I mess up I'll have more than enough. 8O

Anything to recommend for use tying bunches together AND keeping the 'bottom' on the 'bottom' of the tank?

...lead?

In my fish tank? I thought lead was a no-no?

I do have 2 coils of moldable metal that came with the bunch of hornwort and cabomba (basically dissolved now)... they're holding some hornwort down in the pea gravel - which is the problem. I can't really imagine any other way to hold the plants down.

I know they don't *have* to be planted, but I prefer the look...

Back
Top Bottom