Plant ID and advice please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been having some green water issues with my 29, and it got so bad that I couldn't even see anything for an entire week. Well I finally did a blackout for 4 days, added a UV sterilizer, and did several PWC. After 2 weeks of no pruning you can see that one of my plants is out of control (the bushy tall one in the center of the FTS). I have never known what plant this is, but it sure does grow fast. My brother prunes his weekly in a 1 WPG tank. Anyone know what it is called, and how to control it?

Edit: Ok, I cant seem to get the pictures attached... They are the "FTS" and "Closer View" pictures in my gallery. Sorry for the trouble.

Looks like anacharis to me...aka elodea...common name, water pest. There isn't much else you can do other than pruning or taking it out altogether. Make bunches and see if your LFS would take some. Maybe you can get some credit. Never know. Stuff does grow very well and is a hardy plant. Great for betta bowls and as fry hide outs. It can float or be anchored in the soil and do just as well.

I know I have Anacharis on the right side of my tank, but I am unsure of the longer and thinner plant in the center. It easily grows faster than my Anacharis...

I've seen anacharis that thin and 'spindly' like. Having prolonged periods of no or little light can reduce the growth of leaves. I'll take a closer look at some photos I have of different plants that look similar, but I'm almost certain that is anacharis.

That stem plant in Closer View with four leaves and long gaps for each internode looks cool. Can you take a pic of it outside the tank or in clearer water? Some macro shots of the tips may help. I am interested in trading for it if other members cannot help out with ID. If you are interested, reply to that PM ;) What does FTS mean?

re: greenwater: what is your dosing and test results? FWIW, I induced (PO4 >5) and am struggling to get rid of greenwater too, and find it discouraging the UV has not helped you. I was considering floating a ton anacharis to soak up nutes and UV to kill free floating stuff.

Actually the UV is helping a little from what I can tell. I dosed 3 times a week to keep my Nitrates at about 10-15 and my Phosphates at about 1 to 1.5 ppm. I did a 70% water change and then started up the UV and there has been no sign of the green water for about 3 days now. I'm crossing my fingers.

You guys like that plant, eh? LOL I couldn't kill the thing if I tried. I took some macro shots of it out of water. Ya, we could do a trade...I could easily have a huge handful to send you in about a week! :lol:

img_559569_0_50a02beb9e00a2b33fec4ac1ce441e2e.jpg

img_559569_1_1f6ae54f704baca7cdf94bba1ab69459.jpg

[/img]

Yeah, still interested. I have no idea what it is. How long have you or your brother had it? Does it look different when grown under his low light? Where did you get it? Just curious. I think it looks nice.

I don't remember where I got it from, but I bought it with my first tank about a year ago. Under low light it just grows a little more slowly, but still fairly quick and looks the same. I haven't found a condition where it doesn't thrive.

Looks like a rotala or Mayaca of some sort. I really can't begin to give an educated guess though.

Right on! All of the information and pictures fit perfectly. 8 months later and you are still keeping an eye out for these things. Sorry to give you a plant on the U.S. Federal Noxious Weed List. :)

Thanks for letting me try it :) I think if it grew slower and rooted nicely it's shape would be desireable. I spend way too much time on aquatic plant sites...

To add to the story...

I tossed a couple clippings of this plant in my betta tank over a week ago and it is looking great. It has grown about 2" WITHOUT LIGHT. Not quite as difficult to manage as when it is in a high light tank with Co2 and grows many times faster. Just thought I would share that I found a good use for the plant where I won't have to trim it more than every couple weeks. The key is no light! :D

Back
Top Bottom