Plant ID and curling leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vmax911

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a few extra plants in a recent order. Can anyone idea this one?

Also, the new leaves are starting to curl. They have looked fine for the past few weeks. This curling seemed to coincide with the time I started dosing excel. Is this plant excel intolerant, or is it another deficiency?

TIA

Attachments

• unknownplant1_526.jpg
    unknownplant1_526.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 143
  • unknownplant2_874.jpg
    unknownplant2_874.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 170
I don't think it's a problem with Excel itself, but possibly another deficiency. Since you are adding carbon the plants will uptake more of the other nutrients. Not sure which one is related to curling leaves.

I had a plant do the same thing. I started to dose calcium sulfate and magnesium sulfate and I have not seen it since. I'm not sure what kind of plant it is. Possibly Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-242.htm

Man you have a bad algae outbreak there. Is that a small hairy aquatic mammal or a algae covered rock in the background? J/K

travis simonson said:
It looks to me like it might be Heteranthera zosterifolia (aka Stargrass).

Actually, that does look familiar, now that you mention it, lol. I agree, most likely Stargrass.

I also had a similar problem with curling leaves, on Ludwigia brevipes, which was also solved by adding magnesium sulfate and calcium carbonate. What is your pH, KH, nitrate and phosphate?

newfound77951 said:
I also had a similar problem with curling leaves, on Ludwigia brevipes, which was also solved by adding magnesium sulfate and calcium carbonate. What is your pH, KH, nitrate and phosphate?

pH- 8
KH- 7 degrees
NO3- 25ppm
PO4- 2ppm

Peyton said:
Man you have a bad algae outbreak there. Is that a small hairy aquatic mammal or a algae covered rock in the background? J/K

That's my pet hamster, Rocky. When I asked what kind of cage to put him in, they showed me an aquarium. But then I remembered I already had an aquarium at home, so there he is. :)

Actually I have had big problems with BBA. It seems to be slowing down, but there is still tons of dead stuff left. But that's another thread...

That's my pet hamster, Rocky. When I asked what kind of cage to put him in, they showed me an aquarium. But then I remembered I already had an aquarium at home, so there he is.

ROFL!!!!! ;-)

If you are already dosing excel, try usig an eyedropper to squirt your dose directly onto the BBA. Don't dose more than you already are. Just apply it directly tot the BBA and it will help knock it down.

i have heard that stargrass does not cope well at all with algae, as it needs all the light it can get, and has such fine leaves. it may be suffering because of that.

zenkatydid said:
i have heard that stargrass does not cope well at all with algae, as it needs all the light it can get, and has such fine leaves. it may be suffering because of that.

Hmm... then I'm surprised it's surviving at all. I only have 64 T8 watts over 50 gallons. Guess I'll cross my fingers.

newfound77951 said:
which was also solved by adding magnesium sulfate and calcium carbonate

Are these available at some type of local store (i.e. like stump remover for KNO3), or is this a Greg Watson thing?

Back
Top Bottom