Plant ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can you please help me to figure it out what type of plants are these? Pics attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-1543767577.jpg
    image-1543767577.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-479949017.jpg
    image-479949017.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 62
Second plant looks like stargrass or postamogeton gayi.
On a second note, how big are those containers the bettas are in? In my opinion no fish should be kept in any less than 5 gallons and that just looks like a cup tbh.

Thanks I will look for those plants. I have no clue how big these containers are, but my guess is around 3 litres each. They have them at a car shop that I take my car and while I was waiting we were talking about these fish and plants. These plants have been there for about a year according to them, with no special lighting or anything so these types of plants I'm looking for my tank. :)

Oh so they aren't yours, got it. Well that's sad, they definitely should not be in those containers. Especially with no filter :(

paytertot said:
Second plant looks like stargrass or postamogeton gayi.
On a second note, how big are those containers the bettas are in? In my opinion no fish should be kept in any less than 5 gallons and that just looks like a cup tbh.

In their natural habitat bettas are often found living in the track of buffalo or oxen. Like 1/2 a cup or less. It seems cruel but truth is, that clean little tank is paradise by comparison. They ship them overseas wrapped up in wet newspaper. Believe me, he's doing just fine.

CorallineAlgae said:
In their natural habitat bettas are often found living in the track of buffalo or oxen. Like 1/2 a cup or less. It seems cruel but truth is, that clean little tank is paradise by comparison. They ship them overseas wrapped up in wet newspaper. Believe me, he's doing just fine.

Their wild habitat is sort of a moot point considering how far removed they are from them. IME most of the bettas we buy are just bred in tanks and any fish should be kept in at very very least a 3 gallon tank with filtration. Bettas like heat too. It wouldn't be so bad if there was filtration, but there isn't so the fish is going to be experiencing toxic levels of ammonia.

But let's stay on topic, eh? Wouldn't want to get in trouble. I respect your opinion too.

While the idea that betta naturally live small puddles is fairly pervasive, and it does occur in nature, it is not an accurate portrait of betta in the wild. Betta only live in puddles during a relatively short span of the year or during particularly dry years, and they are not thriving in that habitat, only toughing it through hard times until proper conditions return. The rest of the year, betta live in large but shallow (usually around 3 feet, deeper than most tanks) still moving lakes or impoundments. Even when they are in puddles, vegetation and bacteria keep toxin levels at a minimum. There also isn't any food these puddles (or at least very little), which sets a limit on how long they can be in them and still survive. Being in a puddle is to a betta what being beached is to a whale.

aqua_chem said:
Being in a puddle is to a betta what being beached is to a whale.

Ridiculous. Beached wales die. By that logic almost every fish kept in aquariums are being cruelly mistreated except bettas. Most aquarium fish come from huge flowing rivers and lakes, are allowed to routinely breed under ideal conditions and eat only live foods. Contrast that and almost any home tank is woefully inhumane. Bettas are routinely found in rice paddies, ditches and puddles littered with animal waste and often surprisingly stagnant. I'm not saying that they don't deserve all the care a pet owner can give them (mine is the boss of a 20h... his name is Boss!).
It's a matter of contrast. A betta can live out it's whole life in wild conditions we'd never want to emulate in our homes. While most other fish are kept in the type of confinement they'd never experience in their wild habitat. As far as aquarium fish go bettas probably have a better comparative life than most of our fish. They definitely do need a heater, though. Mine loves high water flow, too.

paytertot said:
Their wild habitat is sort of a moot point considering how far removed they are from them. IME most of the bettas we buy are just bred in tanks and any fish should be kept in at very very least a 3 gallon tank with filtration. Bettas like heat too. It wouldn't be so bad if there was filtration, but there isn't so the fish is going to be experiencing toxic levels of ammonia.

But let's stay on topic, eh? Wouldn't want to get in trouble. I respect your opinion too.

Good point. Hey, aren't there teny tiny filters on the market now? I know they also have those mini heater pads for these things on Amazon.
I respect your opinion, too.

Back
Top Bottom