Plant ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dangreen7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have heaps of this stuff in my pond, it was planted in there a year ago from a sample I gathered from the river otter, a local river to me which is home to many freshwater fish so the plant can't be too bad. I was hoping someone would kindly identify it for and tell me if it's ok to keep it in my tank, there is also some blanket weed in my pond so is this an issue? Thanks!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402946356.162807.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402946374.768496.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402946463.741114.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402946503.760582.jpg

Hmm, now that I am thinking of it, how does it propagate because water wisteria propagates by growing new stems on an older stem.

It's not wisteria. My bet would be on a species of elodea. Google some pictures and tell us what you think?

Ok thanks, I noticed there are some strands of duck weed, a horrible algae like glop that takes over the pond, on the plant. I don't want that to grow in the tank so would you be able to recommend an easy method of treatment that would sort that out for me?

a 1:20 bleach dip works pretty well but can be hard on the plants. Potassium permanganate dip works, 50/50 peroxide works as well. I'd just treat the plants and then keep them in a QT for a few days to make sure all the algae is gone.

50/50 peroxide 3%/water for a few minutes. Rinse in dechlorinated water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom