Plant ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking of saving up to get aquarium dirt that's good for plants..then add a few small grass plants and taller plants, but I don't know where to start. My temp ranges from 78 to 82 throughout the day because of the heat. And my ph is at 7.6. My lighting is attached in a photo.

image-1115432400.jpg

The bulb is of the right color temp, but T8s don't put out much PAR. What size tank is it over and how many of these bulbs are on the tank?

The place to start is always lighting with planted tanks. If the lighting isn't right, the substrate won't help much.

smileyface9 said:
I'm thinking of saving up to get aquarium dirt that's good for plants..then add a few small grass plants and taller plants, but I don't know where to start. My temp ranges from 78 to 82 throughout the day because of the heat. And my ph is at 7.6. My lighting is attached in a photo.

And you don't need to save up much. You can use Organic Potting Soil and cover it with Pool Filter Sand or Black Diamond blasting sand if you prefer a black bottom.

Or you can use straight sand and add root tabs. OPS will grow plants well, with the right lighting.

Thanks! And i still think i want the dirt i want to save up for cause it's nice. Eco complete is a good starter dirt for plants right? And if i want good lighting for my plants, but i don't want to irritate my fish what would you guys suggest?

smileyface9 said:
Thanks! And i still think i want the dirt i want to save up for cause it's nice. Eco complete is a good starter dirt for plants right? And if i want good lighting for my plants, but i don't want to irritate my fish what would you guys suggest?

What size tank ??

Ok I was thrown when you said Dirt. I think of Eco Complete as substrate or insert fancy name.
When you hear or read "dirt " tank in this hobby it usually means potting soil or mineralized top soil.

I've heard EC is good. I haven't used it yet. Sand in most of my tanks. Aqua Soil amazonia new Multi type is my "expensive" substrate. Trying it in my 5.5g.

Coursair said:
Ok I was thrown when you said Dirt. I think of Eco Complete as substrate or insert fancy name.
When you hear or read "dirt " tank in this hobby it usually means potting soil or mineralized top soil.

I've heard EC is good. I haven't used it yet. Sand in most of my tanks. Aqua Soil amazonia new Multi type is my "expensive" substrate. Trying it in my 5.5g.

Ohh :) lol thanks for letting me know. I thought it was dirt.

Anyone know any plants that would thrive in this tank? Or what would if i had a higher watt light and what type of light bulb would i need??

Thats the same light I have and all of my plants are flourishing! Mostly my swords and anubias. Mines also a 36 gallon. I rarely add liquid fert, did use laterite with my gravel that seemed to help grow strong roots.

Bobo8 said:
Thats the same light I have and all of my plants are flourishing! Mostly my swords and anubias. Mines also a 36 gallon. I rarely add liquid fert, did use laterite with my gravel that seemed to help grow strong roots.

Thanks! XD what kind of swords do you have??

Not one hundred percent sure as my pet store is really bad at IDing plants, but I have 2 melon swords and one other one, i looked it up and came up with echinodorus major as the scientific name. Amazon swords are really pretty too, although they get quite large.

Bobo8 said:
Not one hundred percent sure as my pet store is really bad at IDing plants, but I have 2 melon swords and one other one, i looked it up and came up with echinodorus major as the scientific name. Amazon swords are really pretty too, although they get quite large.

Thanks! :)

image-2760612221.jpg

Update! :) used first layer laterite then flourite and then rock on top to keep it down along with sand on the side since my bp's like it. And I already have new growth! Hopefully no one eats it!

image-689200190.jpg

Crypts are good hardy beginner plants that do good in all light ranges. Anubias also thive in a variety of settings and have nice thick tough leaves that are harder for some fish to eat or nip off leaves.

Dwarf sagittaria is one of my favorite foreground plants. It propagates with runners and also does well in lower light.

Nice parrots. I just got one last week and it is one of the most interesting fish ive ever owned.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120529_021939.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120529_021939.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 45
  • ForumRunner_20120529_022007.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120529_022007.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20120529_022046.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120529_022046.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 54
ashleynicole said:
Crypts are good hardy beginner plants that do good in all light ranges. Anubias also thive in a variety of settings and have nice thick tough leaves that are harder for some fish to eat or nip off leaves.

Dwarf sagittaria is one of my favorite foreground plants. It propagates with runners and also does well in lower light.

Nice parrots. I just got one last week and it is one of the most interesting fish ive ever owned.

I don't want to change the subject of your tread, but what plant is that one in front of your parrot Ashley? I have exactly the same plant, trying to ID.

Sorry....

ejaramillo01 said:
I don't want to change the subject of your tread, but what plant is that one in front of your parrot Ashley? I have exactly the same plant, trying to ID.

Sorry....

Dwarf sagittaria

Back
Top Bottom