Plant Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First you need to take them out and plant each stem individually with the leaves almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around it. his allows light and water flow to reach the bottom of the stems and leaves. TCabomba can be picky but have found using liquid carbon such as Excel helps alot. Also they like alot of nutrients and I strongly suggest using at least something like Seachems Flourish Comprehensive once or twice weekly along with API Leaf Zone to add potassium and iron to the water also. What type lighting do you have? They like at least medium light.

TCabomba Advice

First you need to take them out and plant each stem individually with the leaves almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around it. his allows light and water flow to reach the bottom of the stems and leaves. TCabomba can be picky but have found using liquid carbon such as Excel helps alot. Also they like alot of nutrients and I strongly suggest using at least something like Seachems Flourish Comprehensive once or twice weekly along with API Leaf Zone to add potassium and iron to the water also. What type lighting do you have? They like at least medium light.

Thanks Rivercats. I was thinking of using liquid carbon, or the gas. I have heard that the liquid is cheaper but can hard some plants. I think as its only a 12L tank, gas system would be total overkill.

I dont add any nutrients, thanks for the tips. I didn't quite understand the part where you said "with the leaves almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around it". The Cabomba is held by some sort of a ceramic ring. There is some foam that is wrapped around the plant stems, the foam holding the stems then squeezes into the ceramic ring. So I cant separate the stems. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

Many Thanks

I was always told to remove the ring if u want the plant to grow.

I'd actually just cut the rings off, trim the stems to just below the leaves and replant individually. Check out the first full tank picture on this link, look at the green stem plant in the back and slightly to the right. See how you can see each individual stem planted next to each other and their leaves are almost or just barely touching the other stems leaves? This is what I mean... Art of Aquascaping: Which Style Fits You? | AquaScapist.

I don't have any leaf loss issue in the tank I have it in and I use liquid carbon. I have the Cabomba Furcata and like it so much I have two groups of it now.

Cabomba Planting

I'd actually just cut the rings off, trim the stems to just below the leaves and replant individually. Check out the first full tank picture on this link, look at the green stem plant in the back and slightly to the right. See how you can see each individual stem planted next to each other and their leaves are almost or just barely touching the other stems leaves? This is what I mean... Art of Aquascaping: Which Style Fits You? | AquaScapist.

I don't have any leaf loss issue in the tank I have it in and I use liquid carbon. I have the Cabomba Furcata and like it so much I have two groups of it now.

Thanks Rivercats. I looked at the first full tank picture, I now see what you mean thank you makes perfect sense. However what do I plant them in? If I were to pushed the stems into the substrate they would just float off. Is there a special method used here? Also, dont they need roots? Do they just sprout roots from the bottom of the cut stem? I know with a normal plant, if you cut it, and just plant in soil, it would die as it was separated from its roots.

My knowledge here is very much lacking, appreciate your patience :hide:

You actually do just stick the stems down in the substrate. Stem plants take nutrients almost exclusively from the water but they do develop weak root systems just to anchor themselves. If your afraid of them floating just push them deeply into the substrate. It really is as simple as that.

You actually do just stick the stems down in the substrate. Stem plants take nutrients almost exclusively from the water but they do develop weak root systems just to anchor themselves. If your afraid of them floating just push them deeply into the substrate. It really is as simple as that.

Awesome, I have now had success with this thank you very much. I have planted them so they are appart in the substrate, I've added a 5500K light and some CO2 and wow they are growing like wild fire! I have to keep taking them out and cutting them down. Nice looking plant, even if they are high maintenance.

Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom