plant identification needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pglenn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help on identifying 2 plants. The kid at the LFS had no clue what they were and they werent labeled of course. I have looked through a number of sites already and havent found the right match for either yet. unfortunately I dont have a digital camera either

The first resembles and may well be a hygrophila. It is a bunch/stalk plant, sold in groups of about 8-10 stalks, looks to have been cut, with no roots on bottom. The leaves are a heavy dark green on top, a deep red/purple underneath. Leaves are about 2" long by 1/4" to 1/2" wide, with kinda a sawtooth pattern on the edges. the green side has a thin red/purple line running up the middle. the leaves I believe are arranged in groups of 4 or 5 every couple inches or so up the stalk

The second is also sold as groups of stalks/cuttings but is not hygrophila shaped at all. It is similar in coloring, except a brighter green on top and brighter shade of definite purple underneath. The leaves are much larger, about 3" long by 1 1/2" wide, with a wrinkled effect across the leave and a curl towards the green side on the very edges, almost forming a very shallow bowl effect. the leaves I believe are arranged in groups of 2 or 3 every 1-2", but with the larger leaves at the bottom growing away from the stalk on their own "stalks"

not the best descriptions maybe but the best my memory provides. any help on identifying these or sites to research these on would be appreciated. these definitely look nice and would add good color to my tank but would not want to purchase obviously without some background info. I am assuming with the coloration these would probably be light-intensive as well.

Patrick

Back
Top Bottom