Plant issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshFD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good afternoon all. I hope you are enjoying the weekend thus far.
Just a few questions. I have a planted tank and am having some problems with these black spots on all of my Anubis plants and the leaves of my Wisteria are "melting" i think is the term.
Lights are on for no more than 8-9 hours a day. Currently running 48" Aqueon OptiBright LED(unable to find the wattage)
Have over filtration with a Fluval U4 and a 406. Temp is sitting right at 80. Am using Flourish Seachem twice a week.
What i going on with the plants and how can i treat them?

Cheers,
Josh

Attachments

• 20160206_161600.jpg
    20160206_161600.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20160206_161552.jpg
    20160206_161552.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 74
Good afternoon all. I hope you are enjoying the weekend thus far.
Just a few questions. I have a planted tank and am having some problems with these black spots on all of my Anubis plants and the leaves of my Wisteria are "melting" i think is the term.
Lights are on for no more than 8-9 hours a day. Currently running 48" Aqueon OptiBright LED(unable to find the wattage)
Have over filtration with a Fluval U4 and a 406. Temp is sitting right at 80. Am using Flourish Seachem twice a week.
What i going on with the plants and how can i treat them?

Cheers,
Josh

Do you use any fertilisers? The plants need food too. Sometimes when plants are placed in a new environment they will adapt to the new conditions and part of this is shedding leaves.

How deep is the tank? You could reduce the lighting whilst the plants acclimatise or adding liquid carbon may help.

Edit: I didn't see you are using flourish. Maybe try some flourish excel or wait to see if they improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This happened to my wisteria constantly. I was dosing (slowly throughout the week the correct amount) flourish, excel, iron, potassium. Nothing got it stop melting back but they would still grow almost two feet tall. Kind of weird, maybe it was lack of co2 in my tank.

This happened to my wisteria constantly. I was dosing (slowly throughout the week the correct amount) flourish, excel, iron, potassium. Nothing got it stop melting back but they would still grow almost two feet tall. Kind of weird, maybe it was lack of co2 in my tank.
That might be your problem as well. My lighting was considered low lighting as well and I had Eco complete. I thought I had everything right.

After putting in some new plants in my tank, I had a more than a couple leaves turn opaque and seem to "melt away" as well. The bacopia and dwarf sag. subulata in particular. I use flourish excel as well as flourish and iron. Within a couple of weeks they have shown impressive new growth with a slightly different leaf shape/color as they have acclimated to their new environmental conditions.

I agree with Caliban that using the flourish excel might help. I noticed a substantial difference in growth and fullness with my plants after adding it.

Yeah im using the Flourish seachem twice a week... and am doing a lot of research on cO2 systems. I had used a DIY set up for an indoor grow i did a few years ago and doesnt seem to be to different from that. I have ordered a DIY regulator set and that will have to do until i can afford a much larger/powerful system.

I think it had to do with the fact i had the lights on for too long and was running airstone during the day. I've since turned the stones off during the day and back on at night when the lights are off. Ive also put the lights on a 7hour timer.
Ill post any updates that might occur.

Cheers every one!

Yeah im using the Flourish seachem twice a week... and am doing a lot of research on cO2 systems. I had used a DIY set up for an indoor grow i did a few years ago and doesnt seem to be to different from that. I have ordered a DIY regulator set and that will have to do until i can afford a much larger/powerful system.

I think it had to do with the fact i had the lights on for too long and was running airstone during the day. I've since turned the stones off during the day and back on at night when the lights are off. Ive also put the lights on a 7hour timer.
Ill post any updates that might occur.

Cheers every one!

Seachem flourish EXCEL is a liquid carbon alternative that should be a cost effective source of carbon in the meantime. Don't confuse it with Seachem flourish which is a nutrient fertiliser. I would rather use liquid carbon than a DIY set to be honest.

Seachem flourish EXCEL is a liquid carbon alternative that should be a cost effective source of carbon in the meantime. Don't confuse it with Seachem flourish which is a nutrient fertiliser. I would rather use liquid carbon than a DIY set to be honest.

True.

And personally, I also favor the use of liquid carbon. I have very limited to no experience with the CO2 injectors:confused:, but for simplicity the liquid carbon is a great alternative. Maybe one day I'll get started with CO2...

Yeah, i wasnt confusing the two, just stating that that was the particular formula i was using seeing as some one earlier had asked is all. I might head out to petsmart later tonight and pick some up. Not expecting the package i ordered to be delivered until the end of the month and to be honest, have no energy right now to be creative and whip something up.
Thanks.

Yeah, i wasnt confusing the two, just stating that that was the particular formula i was using seeing as some one earlier had asked is all. I might head out to petsmart later tonight and pick some up. Not expecting the package i ordered to be delivered until the end of the month and to be honest, have no energy right now to be creative and whip something up.
Thanks.

I'm sure you'll see some healthy new growth once you begin adding excel.

Back
Top Bottom