Plant Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have low lights (a single 15w with aluminum foil backing lol) on my 30g. Plants are anubias nana and java fern, they get flourish once a week with the water change. Java fern went from gorgeous to absolute crap a long while ago and the anubias always did ok, even back when the tank didn't have a light. It even flowers.

But now it seems like I have more leaf die off than ever, and newer leaves are smaller. What am I missing?

This is an array of the way the leaves get.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1485829571453.jpg
    1485829571453.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 60
I have low lights (a single 15w with aluminum foil backing lol) on my 30g. Plants are anubias nana and java fern, they get flourish once a week with the water change. Java fern went from gorgeous to absolute crap a long while ago and the anubias always did ok, even back when the tank didn't have a light. It even flowers.

But now it seems like I have more leaf die off than ever, and newer leaves are smaller. What am I missing?

I'd say lack of light,ferts,co2.

I'd try and replace your light with maybe a 30w t5?

Flourish once a week wouldn't be enough. I'd follow the recommended dosage on the bottle.

You'll also won't some seachem flourish excel for a carbon source. Dose to recommended.

Well I want to keep it low tech, I may be able to find another light strip... will start adding flourish twice a week and see about the excel. The tank has a bunch of guppies, a bn and a keyhole so I guess I assumed the ferts were covered lol.

Well I want to keep it low tech, I may be able to find another light strip... will start adding flourish twice a week and see about the excel. The tank has a bunch of guppies, a bn and a keyhole so I guess I assumed the ferts were covered lol.

Going to a 30w t5 will still keep you in the low tech range and should make the plants happier ;)

Excel is a must in all planted tanks unless your using pressurised co2.

Do you do large weekly water changes? 50%?

More like 30%

lighting is your main problem . I keep the exact same plants in my setup and use no ferts or any other special additives . But I do use very good lighting .
A finnux 24-7 would go a long way to solving the issue

This seems like severe nutrient deficiency of some sort. As far as macros, I'm guessing you can get away without adding nitrogen or phosphorous (depends on fish load and amount of plants/growth rate), especially since growth will be slow with only a 15W bulb. most tanks will need to be supplemented with potassium at some point. API Leaf Zone is widely available and contains both potassium and iron. Also, if the GH of your source water is low you may need to add a GH booster to provide a source of calcium and/or magnesium for the plants.

Your lighting is definitely going to be on the weak side, but if you've had success with your lighting before this and don't want to change anything, you might just need to go ahead and replace your bulb. There's a chance it is no longer putting out quite enough light. While you're at it, wipe any deposits off the foil reflector, or even better just replace it with new foil.

Back
Top Bottom