Plant lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobo8

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I am needing some help picking a light since i will be spending a good amount to get something decent and need some Input!

I have a planted 36 and 50
Right now I only have 1 light a national geographic LED which is terrible by the way! But I am using that on both one on during day and on at night. Fits the 36 but too small for the 50. Blalast for fluorescent light I had before crapped out. And want to up my plant game!
So I have looked into lighting and I'm gathering that I should be looking at Fluval plant 2.0 or planted + finnex. Input would be awesome. I think the finnex doesn't shop to Canada but maybe I could get on Amazon.
Here is some pics so you have an idea of what plants I have. I'd like to get more but not before I have lights. 20170829_195219.jpg20170829_195259.jpg20170829_195305.jpg

Thanks in advance! Any comments or advice would be appreciated ?

What are the dimensions of the tanks? Length, primarily.
What are your goals? Low light? Medium light w/CO2? Without CO2? High light?

I am thinking medium light and I would use flourish excel ?

36 is 19x30.25x20.875

I'm interpreting this as 30.25" long and 20.875" high. If so, I would get a 30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7 or simply Finnex 24/7. Its dimmable which makes it great for making adjustments.
I use on on a shallower CO2 injected tank (20g long is 12" high). I've used it in a low light shrimp tank; also a 20g long. I dimmed it to 10-20% which provided enough light for the mosses and kept the algae at bay.
Excel is fine for this application. Use it with care with certain plants (vals, anacharis) and shrimp might be a bit sensitive with it.

Back
Top Bottom