Plant list for 12g Nanocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I was thinking of the following for my 12g nanocube. CO2 injected, 2 wpg, Flourite Plant Substrate.

2 Dwarf hairgrass planted in the front of the tank, hopefully to grow and fill in the floor of the tank

3 Corkscrew Vals in the back of the tank

Look good, or do I have no idea what I'm doing? If so, suggestions?

Is that about the right number of plants though? Am I right in thinking the dwarf hairgrass will fill in everywhere?

what kind of water are you going to have, what type of fish do you plan on keeping.. you could buy more plants.. if your trying to get a few and wait until they fill in I figure your more likely going to have algae problems that you wouldnt have if you planted enough to out-compete possible problem plants.. even uv only works on free-floating algae.. to add to this..

Its going to be freshwater and I was thinking of 3 dwarf puffers and three otos for the fish in it.

How about 3 Dwarf hairgrass and 3 Water Sprites? That would fill in the foreground and background pretty full I think. How many plants are normal for a 12 gallon tank? I don't want to have to deal with an algea problem.

I think with a 12G that two bunches of hairgrass would be perfect to start with. Hairgrass spreads readily with good light and CO2 and should fill in well, given a little time. I would not recommend water sprite for a tank that small. It will turn into a monster in a CO2 injected tank and be a real pain to keep trimmed. I like your idea of corkscrew Vals in the back although they can get fairly tall too.

travis simonson said:
I think with a 12G that two bunches of hairgrass would be perfect to start with. Hairgrass spreads readily with good light and CO2 and should fill in well, given a little time. I would not recommend water sprite for a tank that small. It will turn into a monster in a CO2 injected tank and be a real pain to keep trimmed. I like your idea of corkscrew Vals in the back although they can get fairly tall too.

What do you think the best combo would be?

how tall is the tank Tony.. it sounds like travis likes the hair grass but would be able to answer how tall your background plants can be if he knew how much room they had to grow.. just a suggestion.. :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure that 12G cube is fairly low so it might be a good idea to go with some medium-height species for your background. I'm not sure what is available in your area so you might have to try a few things before you find something you like. Vals can get quite tall and I have very little experience with them since my fish eat them.

For low light, Java ferns may solve your height and grow out issues. The leaves are abundant and do cover quite well. If you can get your hands on some mature ones it will really look great.

travis simonson said:
I'm pretty sure that 12G cube is fairly low so it might be a good idea to go with some medium-height species for your background. I'm not sure what is available in your area so you might have to try a few things before you find something you like. Vals can get quite tall and I have very little experience with them since my fish eat them.

Travis, do you have any better choices in mind?

Jchillin said:
For low light, Java ferns may solve your height and grow out issues. The leaves are abundant and do cover quite well. If you can get your hands on some mature ones it will really look great.

Its 2 wpg, is that low light? Are Java ferns good for a 12g tank?

I think that corkscrew vals for the back of the tank would like nice. I like adding Cryptocoryne wendtii "red" for some color in the middle ground. You might also look at some moss balls to help keep algae from taking hold. I use them in most of my tanks.

Tony Starks said:
Jchillin said:

Its 2 wpg, is that low light? Are Java ferns good for a 12g tank?

Ferns do well in low light and do even better in high light. Just a suggestion to get some deep dark foliage for the sides and corners. :D

Back
Top Bottom