Plant melting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PandaKing

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello this morning I woke up an had noticed one of my java leafs melting or something. All the other plants look like they are fine all growing nicely an the rest of the java plant looks good is this normal?IMG_2183.jpgIMG_2184.jpg

Also with having the Cory’s,loaches and couple algae eaters in the tank, would it be ok to add a few shrimp to the tank? Iv ordered a few cultured carpet plants an moss was thinking would help keep plants an tank a little cleaner

Also with having the Cory’s,loaches and couple algae eaters in the tank, would it be ok to add a few shrimp to the tank? Iv ordered a few cultured carpet plants an moss was thinking would help keep plants an tank a little cleaner

They will be an expensive snack for your loaches.

They will be an expensive snack for your loaches.

[emoji30] I can’t win for losing lmao, but size of my loaches they might have a little issue with how small the loaches are for now

IMG_2360.jpgIMG_2359.jpg

Ok idk what is goin on with these 2 plants, ones getting holes an is blackening and the other is getting yellow spots

They been in tank 3 maybe 4 weeks. An only thing I add weekly is aqueon plant food

IMG_3007.jpgIMG_3006.jpg
This is still makin me sad this plant did so well throughout the year then goes down hill

Crypts are temperamental sometimes. They are also root feeders.
You can buy some Flourish Fertilizer tabs and push it way under the gravel. That helps these plants more than fertilizer added to the water column.

However, Flourish added to the water column will be a great all-around fertilizer for all plants. It'll help Crypts, too, just not as well as the tabs in the substrate.

Crypts also will often melt and look like the plant's dead. Don't rip it out. Give it time -- sometimes 3-4 weeks -- to see if you'll get new growth. I've had a few I swore were dead come back to life and do fine. As others have said, replanting them pisses them off. They die back, then regrow.

Good luck!

Crypts are temperamental sometimes. They are also root feeders.

You can buy some Flourish Fertilizer tabs and push it way under the gravel. That helps these plants more than fertilizer added to the water column.

However, Flourish added to the water column will be a great all-around fertilizer for all plants. It'll help Crypts, too, just not as well as the tabs in the substrate.

Crypts also will often melt and look like the plant's dead. Don't rip it out. Give it time -- sometimes 3-4 weeks -- to see if you'll get new growth. I've had a few I swore were dead come back to life and do fine. As others have said, replanting them pisses them off. They die back, then regrow.

Good luck!

I use IMG_3039.JPG with caribsea flora max substrate, should I add one more closer to its root system I only put one on each side of tank, only plant doin good is my talenthera which I’m surprised lol still fighting yellow spots on my anubias but it’s only my nana that’s getting it.

I use View attachment 311295 with caribsea flora max substrate, should I add one more closer to its root system I only put one on each side of tank, only plant doin good is my talenthera which I’m surprised lol still fighting yellow spots on my anubias but it’s only my nana that’s getting it.

I didn't see any stats on your tank at the beginning of the thread. Size? Light-amount and length of time on per day? CO2? You've got a good substrate. How often are you doing a water change? Are you testing for Nitrates and/or any other parameters? What are the results?

Those are the right tabs. It's one tab per 4-6" radius, which equates to 6 tabs for a 10g tank. (Per the instructions on the bag.). If you get crazy, you can make your own fertilizer capsules. For a low-tech tank, the Flourish tabs are far easier and don't have to be replaced often.

When I was running my low-tech tank, I used Flourish, Flourish Trace, and Excel. Later added root tabs and had good luck with everything I tried to grow. (Just stay away from high-light and CO2-requiring plants.) I did NOT fertilize every day at that point. I did continue to do water changes weekly to every 2 weeks at most.

Leaves will sometimes get damaged and/or die on any plant. You can trim off the unhealthy ones on the crypt and the anubius. When I trim, I try to leave about 1/8 inch of stem left. If you don't have scissors to use in the tank, just use your fingernail and pinch off the stem.

Back
Top Bottom