Plant newbie needs lots of help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceywater101

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello everyone! I have been keeping tanks for a few years now and pretty much got the fish part down, but now I want to try a planted tank. I already have good lighting I have a all glass twin tube over an all glass versa top. I have a 20 watt colormax for the fish and a 20 watt nutri grow for plants that I dont have yet. So I am figuring I prob have around 1.5 watts per gallon, I read that the 2 20 watt bulbs dont really equal 2 watts per gallon. My biggest question is I have 2 aquaclear 20s running one on each end of my tank I also have a bubble curtain that runs along the back on my tank. My biggest question is do I have to much oxygen in my tank.

You can never have too much O2 in a tank, even if saturated it will dissipate out of the tank. However, the reverse is true. You can have a tank that does not have enough O2 (but that's another topic).

What size tank do you have? To know whether you have enough light, divide the total wattage of your bulbs by the size of the tank (ie: 30w bulb/40 gal tank).

Thanks for the help so far. I have a 20 gal long tank. I am looking to do low and moderate light plants. I am going to be using eco complete and flourish essintals pack to help the plants grow. Is there anything else I should know or any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Seeing how they are 20w bulbs, I assume they are T12, so it is a true 2WPG, you will be borderline requiring Co2, but I think you'll be fine without it. (That said, DIY would be a great idea to promote healthy plant growth)

Keeping the light level where it is, You may find the load from the fish will provide most nutriens your plants require, with the exception of Potassium. I would recommend following a dosage schedule for it. Eco will provide a bulk of the micro's so dosing with them would be unadvisable until you see a deficiency arise.

Also, for a first couple plants stick to easier ones, Crypt becketti would be good, as with anubias and Java fern. You can also try swords, but keep an eye on the light requirements and their max height as some will get to 2'+.

Avoid a bulk of fertalizers until the need arises, if you OD on macro's or micro's you may find yourself battling all kinds of algae.

Macros are

Potassium
Nitrogen
Phophorus
Carbon*

Carbon is technically not a macro, however it is as important.

Micro's are things like
Magnesium, Iron, Boron, Calcium and many more.

Of the ones you can test for, Nitrate (nitrogen) and Phosphorus (Phosphate). There are also Iron test kits, but I wouldn't consider their results to be anything more then useless.

Co2 can indirectly be measured with PH and KH, The formula is floating around somewhere.

Actually I've had people say that Carbon is technically a Macro, just not talked about in the same way as the other Macros since the method of dosing is usually different. But reguardless, the formula is: CO2 (in PPM) = 3 * dKH * 10^( 7-PH ).

Carbon IS a macro nutrient. It only becomes relevant in submerged growth as in terrestrial or emersed growth there is an abundance in the air.

I was going by standard NPK (Nitrogen, Phosporus, Potassium) as being Known Macro's in any fertalizer. I didn't want to leave out carbon however, since it is equally important.

NPK proper ratio should be 10-1-10 up to 20-1-20.. As long as the ratio s approx correct (5ppm N would be 5-.5-5)

I would class carbon with Light. Extremely important, but not a Nutrient.

To be correct,

Non-mineral nutrients would be hydrogen, Oxygen and Carbon. (These are used with light to form sugar and starches required to store energy for plant growth)

Mineral Macro Nutrients are Primary Nitrogen, PHophorus and Potassium Secondary Calcium, Magnesium and Sulphur.

Micros are boron, copper, iron, chloride, manganese, molybdenum and zinc.

If you want a decent read on what each one is reponsible for, scroll to the bottom of This page.

I have a 20 gallon long as well with medium lighting. IF you are going to try plants, I would suggest using flourish excel. It has carbon that will take care of most the plants required intake. I also suggest potassium.

Keep in mind that if yo udo plan to use excel, crypts and anubias don't like it and will not do well. (So I have heard on this board, and stayed away from)

Good luck in your planted tank experience, I have enjoyed it (So far).

Crypts and Anubias are fine with it, Anachris and Val are problematic.

DIY Co2 into your HOB filter would probably be more cost effective.

Back
Top Bottom