Plant Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeaceLoveFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start a plant only tank. The tank itself will be 20 gallons. It'll be my first time keeping plants so I want to start off with some that'll be easy to care for. Any suggestions on species? Also what kind of light will I need?

Sounds like a cool setup. You planning on doing co2 at all? With a plant only tank, I'd recommend some nice t5 HO lighting because the tank revolves all around plants, so some nice t5 hos would be awesome. If you go pressurized co2, t5 HO lighting, and dry ferts, your posibilities for plants are endless!

Your Planted Tank

I want to start a plant only tank. The tank itself will be 20 gallons. It'll be my first time keeping plants so I want to start off with some that'll be easy to care for. Any suggestions on species? Also what kind of light will I need?

Hello Peace...

If you're content to use the lighting that comes with the tank, then you can have some success with varieties of Anubias, Java fern, any of the mosses, like Singapore. Also, a shorter tank with standard lighting would work for Amazon swords.

Keep in mind, without fish to provide the nutrients the plants need, you need to research a source for fertilizer.

B

So ferts, co2 and standard or t5 lighting. I've been reading about the co2 pressurized tanks. Would I need an airstone for it?

PeaceLoveFish said:
So ferts, co2 and standard or t5 lighting. I've been reading about the co2 pressurized tanks. Would I need an airstone for it?

You would run an airstone at night. Pressurized co2 is not completely necessary unless you wanna go all out with high light. You can always do a few bottles of diy co2 too. And there's no risk of suffocating your fish because there won't be any fish :)

So for the beginner plants, I wouldn't need co2? Would I need a certain filtration?

PeaceLoveFish said:
So for the beginner plants, I wouldn't need co2? Would I need a certain filtration?

Depends on what kind of setup you are going for. Low-medium light, no co2 or high light with co2. But with the low medium light, you will not need co2, but plants do benefit from it, low or High light

I would assume you need some filtration. Any old Hob will work

I also think you should go with dry ferts, since there are no fish present, I believe you would have to dose nitrate.

Thank you guys. You're a lot of help. One question though. What kind of co2 system should I have with a 20 gallon? Like George9 said, it would expand my options and that's something I definitely want.

PeaceLoveFish said:
Thank you guys. You're a lot of help. One question though. What kind of co2 system should I have with a 20 gallon? Like George9 said, it would expand my options and that's something I definitely want.

If you don't want to spend too much money, you can try a paintball tank setup. Its bassicly a paintball tank and a simple adapter. They can be bought on eBay. I'll attatch a picture of mine.

image-3470538272.jpg

Back
Top Bottom