plant or no plants..plus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
So the 40 bucks I splurged on plants..my cichlids have managed to eat all of one..uproot another..eat half of two others..before I've removed them from my tank and placed into another..finally after about two weeks I get my missing plant...so far so good it's perked up a little since being in my tank..sucks I had to mice my top rock to hold it down so they don't uproot..so far so good

Funny story..few weeks ago I decided to get Java fern..easy to grow etc..found a margin extra plants with no shipping...great sold!...estimated deliver was a month later..huh seriously?..so I did some digging...it's coming from a totally different country..Taiwan!.

Which brings me to my question..can Java fern be mounted on driftwood and attach?..I've never done it and get confused on what can and can't with all that I read here LOL...

Yes you can attach it to DW. I like to find a split in the wood and wedge the plant in just below the the stem of the leaves. Have 1/2 dozen done like that and the older ones have been growing around the DW really well.

Hi giggalz, yes Java fern is easily mounted on bogwood. just lay the roots over the wood a wind some cotton thread around the wood and over the roots until it's firm, tie it off and you're done.the thread will rot away after some months but by that time the plants will have attached themselves, it's real easy, even I can do it. lol!!. you can use fishing line as well but that will need cutting off as it won't rot.

Pete

Scalare said:
Hi giggalz, yes Java fern is easily mounted on bogwood. just lay the roots over the wood a wind some cotton thread around the wood and over the roots until it's firm, tie it off and you're done.the thread will rot away after some months but by that time the plants will have attached themselves, it's real easy, even I can do it. lol!!. you can use fishing line as well but that will need cutting off as it won't rot.

Pete

Bog wood differ from driftwood?

If the ferns are shipping from Taiwan, I hope they survive. Plants shipped from overseas often get held up in customs and arrive dead or dying if you get them at all.

Java fern attaches to wood quite easily and can even attach to rock. I've used thread, fishing line, and super glue to attach the ferns. I actually just tied the roots of one particularly large specimen around a piece of driftwood and the fern attached nicely.

Back
Top Bottom