Plant pearling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleky plec

Aquarium Advice Freak
What does it mean when people say that their plants are pearling? And what does it mean when people say they plant their clippings.

Not sure on the pearling bit I would think its basically regenerating, getting new shoots. Planting the clippings means that when they trim them they plant the pieces they trimmed. Some plants will grow roots from the clippings, then you have more plants. Someone may have a better description on the pearling.

Plant pearling is when underwater plants "breathe" out oxygen and it forms little bubbles on the leaves that look like pearls. It can be quite pretty! Planting the clippings is what you do after you prune your plants and want more plants so you use those clippings and hope that they grow to be new plants

heyheyitsrae said:
Plant pearling is when underwater plants "breathe" out oxygen and it forms little bubbles on the leaves that look like pearls. It can be quite pretty! Planting the clippings is what you do after you prune your plants and want more plants so you use those clippings and hope that they grow to be new plants

Well I was obviously wrong on the pearling, LOL. I was thinking of how some plants get the little round balls on them. Thanks for clarifying. :)

shellieca said:
Well I was obviously wrong on the pearling, LOL. I was thinking of how some plants get the little round balls on them. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Lol you still helped me out. :)

Just for clarification, plants produce O2 when they are photosynthesizing. This does not mean they will 'pearl' while doing so. Pearling is when the O2 in a given tank is saturated and can no longer hold additional O2. Additional O2 is no longer dissolved into the water column and floats to the surface. These bubbles are what we call pearling.

Back
Top Bottom